How Well Do People Where You Shop Return Their Shopping Carts?

Started by Admiral Yi, February 21, 2023, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Bodega hijack! :o

A work around is credit card only cart stands.

Or pass a law forbidding the manufacture of slugs.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2023, 11:33:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3brJ2WSBpQs

I've seen this video before on shopping cart return as a simple measure of social capital.

I see maybe one stray a month.  How is it where you shop?
I've never seen a stray shopping cart in the parking.  Inside the grocery store, the employees make sure there is no stray cart, as soon as you pur your cart aside while you pay, someone will pick it up if you don't leave with it.

It seems to be an American thing, not returning your cart.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So here's my theory...

As a kid it seemed to me people would just leave their shopping carts wherever in the parking lot.  It's no big deal - it's someone's job to go and collect the carts after all.

Then by I think the early 90s they started bringing in those coin dealies that have been discussed - insert a coin to get the cart.  Those were suddenly everywhere.  I think this now trained a whole generation of shoppers that you need to return your cart.

Now, in the last 10 years, they've gone and removed the coin dealies.  Perhaps it's as we've gone more cashless.  But I think the habit is now ingrained and people do almost entirely return their carts.

There's a whole side-issue as well - homeless people find shopping carts very useful to keep their stuff.  They are mostly the cause of shopping carts being abandoned all hither and yon, and not just in the far corner of the parking lot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2023, 03:25:21 PMSo here's my theory...

As a kid it seemed to me people would just leave their shopping carts wherever in the parking lot.  It's no big deal - it's someone's job to go and collect the carts after all.

Then by I think the early 90s they started bringing in those coin dealies that have been discussed - insert a coin to get the cart.  Those were suddenly everywhere.  I think this now trained a whole generation of shoppers that you need to return your cart.

Now, in the last 10 years, they've gone and removed the coin dealies.  Perhaps it's as we've gone more cashless.  But I think the habit is now ingrained and people do almost entirely return their carts.

There's a whole side-issue as well - homeless people find shopping carts very useful to keep their stuff.  They are mostly the cause of shopping carts being abandoned all hither and yon, and not just in the far corner of the parking lot.
I never saw coin dealies here or in any grocery store I can remember going to in Quebec.  Not sure about Costco, but I don't think so either.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Only 1 chain had coin locking their shopping cart here (Maxi) but the pandemic killed that it hasn't returned afaik.

Near universal return of shopping carts. Only the Walmart has carts with distance locks.

(I live in a suburb of 450k the size of Salt Lake city, I don't frequent all stores)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on February 23, 2023, 03:17:09 PMIt seems to be an American thing, not returning your cart.

Not according to the documentary Trailer Park Boys.

Jacob

MadImmortalMan

I park next to the cart return. Less walking, then I put the cart away.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Since I there are 4 supermarkets within 800 yards of here, I see quite a few abandoned in the lanes or fields hereabouts, sometimes thrown in the river, so I tell them where to come and collect it from.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2023, 10:18:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 23, 2023, 03:17:09 PMIt seems to be an American thing, not returning your cart.

Not according to the documentary Trailer Park Boys.
Ok, it's an Anglo-Saxon thing then :P

viper37

It seems some people are very good at returning their shopping cars, at least.