Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest Drop in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 31, 2022, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I say Crocodile Dundee.  The original was great, the second was unwatchable.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Trouble with this question is there are an awful lot of direct to DVD sequels out there that had virtually nothing in common with the original movie beyond the title.  Did you know for example that there is a Lost Boys 2 and A Christmas Story 2?  Both are dreadful.

So I think you have to limit it to sequels that actually made it into cinemas.

There are also a lot of really bad sequels to movies that weren't very good to begin with.  Paul Blart 2 is likely terrible, but would it really be that big a drop in quality?

Giving the matter some thought, I have two nominations.

Highlander 2.  The first Highlander was a surprisingly entertaining movie, but the sequel just shat all over everything the first movie did.

2010.  It's actually a fine movie and one I enjoyed, but as a sequel to motherfucking masterpiece like 2001?  HUGE drop in quality.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2022, 03:48:08 PMSo I think you have to limit it to sequels that actually made it into cinemas.

Agreed.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2022, 03:48:08 PMSo I think you have to limit it to sequels that actually made it into cinemas.

Agreed.

Asoka.

It's been 30 years or so since I saw it, but I thought Crocodile Dundee 2 was okay.  It just kind of flips the script - instead of an Australian lost in New York, it's a New Yorker lost in Australia.  Kind of predictable but okay.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2022, 04:01:05 PMIt's been 30 years or so since I saw it, but I thought Crocodile Dundee 2 was okay.  It just kind of flips the script - instead of an Australian lost in New York, it's a New Yorker lost in Australia.  Kind of predictable but okay.

The premise was fine the execution was shit.  All the cute one and done gags that worked in CD1 got overplayed again and again in CD2.  Cartoonish villains.

Syt

Agreed.

I would also suggest limiting it to second movies in the series. There are many long running franchises where you could pick part 7 or 12 or whatever, or series that really lost it at #3 after one successful sequel (like Smokey and the Bandit).

Additionally, I'd suggest a max. of 10 tears between original and sequel to keep out things like Space Jam 2, or Blues Brothers 2000 that are bordering on remake/reboot.

In that vein I name: Caddyshack II
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2022, 04:09:47 PMI would also suggest limiting it to second movies in the series. There are many long running franchises where you could pick part 7 or 12 or whatever, or series that really lost it at #3 after one successful sequel (like Smokey and the Bandit).
Yes. Such as Michael Caine's Jaws 4: The Revenge :lol:

Speed 2 is very very bad which is a shame because the first film is great. In terms of biggest disappointments I really remember how bad Men in Black 2 was after the first one - same with Jurassic Park: Lost World.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2022, 04:09:47 PM

Agreed.

I would also suggest limiting it to second movies in the series. There are many long running franchises where you could pick part 7 or 12 or whatever, or series that really lost it at #3 after one successful sequel (like Smokey and the Bandit).

Additionally, I'd suggest a max. of 10 tears between original and sequel to keep out things like Space Jam 2, or Blues Brothers 2000 that are bordering on remake/reboot.

In that vein I name: Caddyshack II

I took it to be it had to be a direct sequel - a #2.  I mean I could say that Rise of Skywalker is a huge drop in quality from Star Wars, but that was 9 movies later.  Or the Police Academy movies got increasingly terrible, but Police Academy 2 was serviceable.

But I don't know about the 10 years rule.  Some of the worst sequels out there are so bad precisely because they were made decades after the first movie.

But it's not my thread, and not my rules.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."