Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest Drop in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 31, 2022, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2022, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2022, 12:44:02 PMInspired by this I had a look at various "worst sequel" lists. I didn't remember that there was a Basic Instinct II :D

The one I listed!

I'm sorry, I overlooked it. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Big-tit College Cheerleaders really declined after Volume 77.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2022, 12:30:46 PMExcept that there is now a *huge* discrepancy between this image shaped by Animal House and its long-lasting impact, and the reality of "the College Experience" today in the US. The rift between what their parents told them (who, themselves are approaching the age of not having really experienced it) and what they see is gigantic. It might as well be Charlie Chaplin's Gold Rush for these kids.

Yeah it isn't the 70s anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2022, 08:01:30 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 01, 2022, 12:30:46 PMExcept that there is now a *huge* discrepancy between this image shaped by Animal House and its long-lasting impact, and the reality of "the College Experience" today in the US. The rift between what their parents told them (who, themselves are approaching the age of not having really experienced it) and what they see is gigantic. It might as well be Charlie Chaplin's Gold Rush for these kids.

Yeah it isn't the 70s anymore.

Specially since Animal House took place in the '60s.  :P

Admiral Yi

Asked a follow up survey question tonight.

"Which high school movie can you relate to the most."

A preponderance of Ferris Bueller from the guys, Mean Girls had a pluarality  with the girls, but not dominant.  Quite a few Breakfast Clubs on both sides.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2022, 02:35:12 AMAsked a follow up survey question tonight.

A preponderance of Ferris Bueller from the guys, Mean Girls had a pluarality  with the girls, but not dominant.  Quite a few Breakfast Clubs on both sides.

Kes.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

None of those movies felt very realistic to me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

For decades, my only contact with the FerrisBuellerse was the TV show, which was shown in Spain.

In retrospect, Parker Lewis Can't Lose was probably a better version of the concept for TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on April 08, 2022, 04:05:04 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2022, 02:35:12 AMAsked a follow up survey question tonight.

Kes.

Ken Loach, at last!

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2022, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2022, 04:09:47 PMI would also suggest limiting it to second movies in the series. There are many long running franchises where you could pick part 7 or 12 or whatever, or series that really lost it at #3 after one successful sequel (like Smokey and the Bandit).
Yes. Such as Michael Caine's Jaws 4: The Revenge :lol:

Speed 2 is very very bad which is a shame because the first film is great. In terms of biggest disappointments I really remember how bad Men in Black 2 was after the first one - same with Jurassic Park: Lost World.
I agree with you on Men in Black as I haven't watched much of the sequels. I found them just lame or uninteresting. But I've liked all of the Jurassic Park movies, even though some were subpar from earlier versions. I just like those type stories.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2022, 05:40:40 AMIn retrospect, Parker Lewis Can't Lose was probably a better version of the concept for TV.

That was a TV show I really quite enjoyed at the time (probably because I was in high school at the time it aired) but has shockingly almost zero pop culture impact since then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2022, 12:37:23 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2022, 05:40:40 AMIn retrospect, Parker Lewis Can't Lose was probably a better version of the concept for TV.

That was a TV show I really quite enjoyed at the time (probably because I was in high school at the time it aired) but has shockingly almost zero pop culture impact since then.

It was pretty big when I was in high school, but yeah completely forgotten since then.