Which Movie Sequel Had the Biggest Drop in Quality?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 31, 2022, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

I guess lots of people would name Godfather 3 for this honour. I actually think it's a fine movie, but the first two are masterpieces, so the quality drop is pretty noticeable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2022, 04:09:47 PMI would also suggest limiting it to second movies in the series. There are many long running franchises where you could pick part 7 or 12 or whatever, or series that really lost it at #3 after one successful sequel (like Smokey and the Bandit).

Additionally, I'd suggest a max. of 10 tears between original and sequel to keep out things like Space Jam 2, or Blues Brothers 2000 that are bordering on remake/reboot.

In that vein I name: Caddyshack II

Agree to all.

Excellent pick.

I remember a loooong time ago we were talking about must see movies (or maybe great comedies) and a lot of Americans mentioned Animal House and Caddy Shack and a lot of Yuros were like wut??  Maybe you're a rare Yuro that has seen Caddy Shack.

@Beeb.  All the proposed rules are good but I don't want to lawyer this up.  If someone has a shit sequel that breaks one of the rules feel free to toss it out there.

celedhring

Wall Street 2 falls afoul of the 10 year limit, but it's a steep dropoff from the original (which is great) on account of being made after Oliver Stone went insane around the mid-1990s.

Also, I like Ghostbusters 2 and I'll fight whoever says it's shit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 04:16:17 PMI remember a loooong time ago we were talking about must see movies (or maybe great comedies) and a lot of Americans mentioned Animal House and Caddy Shack and a lot of Yuros were like wut??  Maybe you're a rare Yuro that has seen Caddy Shack.
Yeah I've not seen either :blush:

But from the clips I've seen on TV I don't think I'd enjoy them. I react the same way to that type of humour as lots of you react to cringe/embarrassment (which I love :blush:).

QuoteAlso, I like Ghostbusters 2 and I'll fight whoever says it's shit.
Yes. Vigo the Carpathian is great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 04:16:17 PM@Beeb.  All the proposed rules are good but I don't want to lawyer this up.  If someone has a shit sequel that breaks one of the rules feel free to toss it out there.

I yam what I yam. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Die Hard 1 is iconic. Die Hard 2 is not great. Die Hard 3 is. Die Hard 4 and beyond are utterly forgettable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2022, 04:23:33 PMYeah I've not seen either :blush:

But from the clips I've seen on TV I don't think I'd enjoy them. I react the same way to that type of humour as lots of you react to cringe/embarrassment (which I love :blush:).

I strongly recommend you watch Animal House, if not as a great movie (which it probably isn't) but as a cultural icon.  The argument could be made that it singlehandedly created the American "college experience."

Caddy Shack is more take it or leave it, and hasn't aged all that well.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2022, 04:23:33 PMYeah I've not seen either :blush:

I strongly recommend you watch Animal House, if not as a great movie (which it probably isn't) but as a cultural icon.  The argument could be made that it singlehandedly created the American "college experience."

Caddy Shack is more take it or leave it, and hasn't aged all that well.

Animal House is a great movie! :mad:  And for a movie made in the 70s, and set in the 60s, it has aged surprisingly well. 

I mean, you could watch it for this line scene alone:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x403sf

But also agree that it's a big cultural icon, and worth checking out on that basis alone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I thought about linking the Fawn Hall sequence.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2022, 04:20:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2022, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 31, 2022, 04:05:00 PMHighlander.

This is the correct answer

The most disappointed I have ever been by a sequel.

Was hoping it was at least a fun actioner. It was - total garbage.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Matrix to matrix whatever.  Intersting flick to unwatchable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"