News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2023, 10:45:14 AMWait for model year 2024. Ford and GM will finally have come out with their offerings.

An American car? Good one. :p

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2023, 09:20:29 AMWill you be able to charge it at home?

In any case though, buy a hybrid. Cheaper mileage than a straight petrol car, can get your indulgence paper green licence plate, yet you won't rely on a future electric infrastructure which may or may not materialise.

Yes, I could setup a charging port fairly easily at home. My electrics box is in a very convenient place for the drive, plenty of space to setup a outside plug.

As to hybrid...yeah. What CC says aligns with what I've heard. In trying to be both things they seem to carry more disadvantages than advantages. I'm open minded however.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 11:49:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2023, 10:45:14 AMWait for model year 2024. Ford and GM will finally have come out with their offerings.

Ford is apparently the #2 electric car producer.

The #1 brand is also American :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2023, 09:20:29 AMWill you be able to charge it at home?

In any case though, buy a hybrid. Cheaper mileage than a straight petrol car, can get your indulgence paper green licence plate, yet you won't rely on a future electric infrastructure which may or may not materialise.

Yes, I could setup a charging port fairly easily at home. My electrics box is in a very convenient place for the drive, plenty of space to setup a outside plug.

As to hybrid...yeah. What CC says aligns with what I've heard. In trying to be both things they seem to carry more disadvantages than advantages. I'm open minded however.

You don't have to buy it. Other manufacturers will react to the Americans net increase in stock of EVs.

Also, as you mentioned you live in a jurisdiction where buying new is a rich person thing, so new new cars means new old cars for you to buy.

Lots of Hybrids are also lies, especially in cold humid climates, since they require the ICEngine to produce heat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

I am currently mainly charging at work, only occasionally at home. If that's an option for you, it helps a lot.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 08:56:31 AMBumping an ancient thread.
Due to reasons I will probably need a bigger car this year.
Buying new of course remains a luxury that I have no interest in.
Nonetheless not buying electric does seem irresponsible. I've done some research on the relative emissions of running down a petrol car vs. an electric and things do suggest electric is for the better.
There is a concern of reduced battery life with time but again much of what I've read suggests this isn't a huge deal with 100k miles+ still giving you 80% capacity at least.

The two that seem to stand out as good options so far are the Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Kona.

Thoughts?

What's your parking situation at home?

I do remember you own your own place.  Do you have a parking spot, and hopefully some kind of garage?

I don't have an EV, but I would like one and am interested in one.  As I understand it to make the best use of one you need a level 2 charger installed at home.  It's basically the same kind of outlet that is used for your dryer or electric stove, so nothing outrageous.  Cost is supposedly $1000-$2000.  But that allows you to get a full charge overnight, whereas a standard electrical cord can take most of a day to fully recharge.

If you're just parking on the street though I think the use case for a BEV is substantially reduced.  Then you're stuck finding public charging points which aren't all that quick.

A consumer can usually get the level 2 charger thrown in to make the deal - or at least get a significant discount.  Like anything with cars, it's a point of negotiation.

Gups

Consider leasing. I did it for the first time in 2021 and it's pretty affordable. I think I pay about 240 a month for a honda Jazz hybrid including road tax, servicing, minor repairs etc. Takes a lot of the stress out and you get a new car every 2 or 3 years.

Grey Fox

That's a cool car name.

Gups

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2023, 01:40:24 PMThat's a cool car name.

It's not a cool car. But works fine for us - we only do a few thousand miles a year. I wouldn't have a car at all but my wife insists.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 11:54:51 AM

Ford is apparently the #2 electric car producer.

The #1 brand is also American :ph34r:
BYD was the second biggest BEV and biggest xEV producer in 2022. Considering their growth trajectory they might surpass Tesla in 2023 or 2024 for BEV. Ford is like 15th or so globally.

Could not find 2nd half, but looks similar:

Grey Fox

None of us is buying a BYD car any time soon tho.

Quebec's car commentators have nothing but good things to say about the Polestar 2.

Barrister

The numbers I had in mind were for America, not worldwide.  Sorry.

I can see how globally they would be different.  Though surprised GM is so high.  What BEV vehicles are they selling in such great numbers?  They have a bunch of vehicles coming, but the only existing one I can think of is the Bolt, which I thought wasn't selling well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Gm has offerings under its umbrella of companies. The Cadillac EV is supposed to be real good. Although if I wanted to be a dick Eva guy with money I'd get the hummer ev :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2023, 01:55:58 PMNone of us is buying a BYD car any time soon tho.

Heh... one of my wife's old school friends is fairly senior in the automobile industry in China. He's looking to leave and is trying to figure out how to make a living in Canada (he's not senior enough to just come over and be rich). One of the things he is talking about is finding a way to import and sell Chinese EVs... but yeah, I think the obstacles are many on that front.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2023, 01:37:35 PMConsider leasing. I did it for the first time in 2021 and it's pretty affordable. I think I pay about 240 a month for a honda Jazz hybrid including road tax, servicing, minor repairs etc. Takes a lot of the stress out and you get a new car every 2 or 3 years.

How much is insurance?

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2023, 01:37:35 PMConsider leasing. I did it for the first time in 2021 and it's pretty affordable. I think I pay about 240 a month for a honda Jazz hybrid including road tax, servicing, minor repairs etc. Takes a lot of the stress out and you get a new car every 2 or 3 years.

Could actually be an option since we are looking at probably leaving the country within 5 years or so.
What company do you use?
██████
██████
██████