News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

On car leasing (I have leased a car before, though not electric):

The thing to be really careful of is there's no flexibility.  You want to break your lease early?  Too bad.  You want to keep your car longer?  Too bad.

Your lease rate depends on how many km is part of your lease.  If you go over your kms there's a really large penalty.  If you go under your kms you're leaving money on the table.

If you buy a car and in 18 months you want to move you just sell your car.  If you lease it though...

If you have a really good sense how much you drive in a year leasing absolutely can make sense though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2023, 01:55:58 PMNone of us is buying a BYD car any time soon tho.
As most of the traditional OEMs move to larger (more expensive/profitable) cars, the small car market will globally soon see competitive offers by Chinese companies, especially in the EV sector.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2023, 03:14:30 PM
Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2023, 01:37:35 PMConsider leasing. I did it for the first time in 2021 and it's pretty affordable. I think I pay about 240 a month for a honda Jazz hybrid including road tax, servicing, minor repairs etc. Takes a lot of the stress out and you get a new car every 2 or 3 years.

How much is insurance?

You take out your own insurance so whatever it would be normally. Think mine was about £350 but I have years of no claims, no offences etc

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 03:22:38 PM
Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2023, 01:37:35 PMConsider leasing. I did it for the first time in 2021 and it's pretty affordable. I think I pay about 240 a month for a honda Jazz hybrid including road tax, servicing, minor repairs etc. Takes a lot of the stress out and you get a new car every 2 or 3 years.

Could actually be an option since we are looking at probably leaving the country within 5 years or so.
What company do you use?

Select car leasing who were fine but I expect they are much of a muchness.

Agree with what Barrister said. Also you can't go abroad with it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 03:22:38 PM

Could actually be an option since we are looking at probably leaving the country within 5 years or so.
What company do you use?

I don't recommend leasing, unless you are the type that wants a new car every 4 years or so and you are willing to pay a large premium for that pleasure - and you don't strike me as the type.

There is a large and lucrative (for the owner) resale market in EV's - hell I can sell my current old "beater" for more than I paid for it. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2023, 04:23:59 PMThere is a large and lucrative (for the owner) resale market in EV's - hell I can sell my current old "beater" for more than I paid for it. 

That's just the used market in general.  I've heard stories of dealerships calling people up to buy (mostly work trucks) back for more than they sold them for, just because they can then turn around and sell them for even more.

I'm really hoping the supply chain / used market is more normal by this summer as we really need to replace one of our vehicles...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 04:56:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2023, 04:23:59 PMThere is a large and lucrative (for the owner) resale market in EV's - hell I can sell my current old "beater" for more than I paid for it. 

That's just the used market in general.  I've heard stories of dealerships calling people up to buy (mostly work trucks) back for more than they sold them for, just because they can then turn around and sell them for even more.

I'm really hoping the supply chain / used market is more normal by this summer as we really need to replace one of our vehicles...

Yes, but what I have in mind is that EV resale market has always been strong, because there has always been limited supply.  And that is not changing any time soon.  At least in the time horizon he is talking about.

Tonitrus

I got my EV back in September, and have enjoyed it quite a bit.  While I could benefit from a Level 2 charger*, I've been getting by on the plain 'ol power outlet, even if I only get about 2 miles/hour (enough for my daily commute plus some change).

I took on its first long-distance road trip from CA up to Seattle over the holidays, and that worked out fine.  Total time recharging was about 2.5-ish hours (5 stops total, 30-ish minutes per stop) of a 15-hour trip from CA to Portland, OR.  And I rather didn't mind the difference from the quick gas-and-go. 

20-40 minutes is pretty easy to kill...all the charging stations were by/at a Walmart or grocery store.  I'd either pick up some road snacks or just walk around and stretch the legs taking in the Walmart scenery (most of the Electrify America fast chargers along I-5 are located in Super Walmart parking lots).

I only had a couple hiccups...one was resolved fairly easily with a call to EA's customer support (I got right through, almost no wait, problem quickly solved).  The second time (on the trip home) was bit more wonky, but managed to find an alternate charger to get enough to make it to my next waypoint.

The advanced cruise control/lane keeping also made the long-haul drive much more relaxing and less fatiguing. 

Threviel

Interesting car market, the cheapest used electrical car with some range and size that I can find around here is about 350.000 SEK, about 27.000£.

If I don't drive a lot there are a lot of cheaper (lifetime cheaper I mean, not only buy) combustion engine cars to buy. I bought my last car for 100.000 SEK for example. Another 250k buys me a lot of gas and service.

Syt

Share of electric vehicles (not counting hybrids) among new registrations in Austria:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on January 12, 2023, 01:22:23 AMInteresting car market, the cheapest used electrical car with some range and size that I can find around here is about 350.000 SEK, about 27.000£.

If I don't drive a lot there are a lot of cheaper (lifetime cheaper I mean, not only buy) combustion engine cars to buy. I bought my last car for 100.000 SEK for example. Another 250k buys me a lot of gas and service.
Ouch. Thats painful.
With leafs I see quite a few at sub 10k .

Lately the used car market is indeed pretty hot. Everything is double what it was.  This goes for ICE as well.
My dad had to buy a new car last year when his not very old Ford SUV started showing signs a full breakdown was imminent. He ended up paying the same as he had for the Ford despite the new one being a step down- a much more reliable brand and more fitting for their current needs however.
TBH though I don't really see this going down much, and it works both ways, I should get more for my perfectly fine though too small old car in part-ex.

██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 11, 2023, 11:27:38 PMI got my EV back in September, and have enjoyed it quite a bit.  While I could benefit from a Level 2 charger*, I've been getting by on the plain 'ol power outlet, even if I only get about 2 miles/hour (enough for my daily commute plus some change).

I took on its first long-distance road trip from CA up to Seattle over the holidays, and that worked out fine.  Total time recharging was about 2.5-ish hours (5 stops total, 30-ish minutes per stop) of a 15-hour trip from CA to Portland, OR.  And I rather didn't mind the difference from the quick gas-and-go. 

20-40 minutes is pretty easy to kill...all the charging stations were by/at a Walmart or grocery store.  I'd either pick up some road snacks or just walk around and stretch the legs taking in the Walmart scenery (most of the Electrify America fast chargers along I-5 are located in Super Walmart parking lots).

I only had a couple hiccups...one was resolved fairly easily with a call to EA's customer support (I got right through, almost no wait, problem quickly solved).  The second time (on the trip home) was bit more wonky, but managed to find an alternate charger to get enough to make it to my next waypoint.

The advanced cruise control/lane keeping also made the long-haul drive much more relaxing and less fatiguing. 
What kind do you have?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

I think the used car market is bound to go down soon with the rest of the economy, but I guess EVs will be affected the least.

You guys really convinced me not to get a hybrid so our next car is probably going to be another petrol one. We need all our cash money for buying a 100 years old run down terraced house somewhere in far edge of everything.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2023, 12:35:18 PMI think the used car market is bound to go down soon with the rest of the economy, but I guess EVs will be affected the least.

You guys really convinced me not to get a hybrid so our next car is probably going to be another petrol one. We need all our cash money for buying a 100 years old run down terraced house somewhere in far edge of everything.

Why would you buy an IC car?  Do you like the increased costs of ownership  :P

Tonitrus

QuoteWhat kind do you have?

I used up my mid-life crisis benefit and got a Rivian R1T.