News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

For the hundredth time here - north americas shitty car focused urban design is part of the problem to be fixed. Not the default natural state which must be accommodated.

As to hills.... Cycling to get around is starting to really take off in Lausanne. In most of Japan it has long been standard.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2021, 02:56:02 PM
Cycling uphill is not that different from cycling into a sustained headwind.
Hills are there every day of the year.  Sustained headwind is not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2021, 03:01:10 PM
For the hundredth time here - north americas shitty car focused urban design is part of the problem to be fixed. Not the default natural state which must be accommodated.

As to hills.... Cycling to get around is starting to really take off in Lausanne. In most of Japan it has long been standard.
That's just not possible in many cities here. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2021, 03:07:19 PM

Try coming to Vancouver - you are weak if you think that is a hill  :P

Maladict

Niet every day but very common. If you live up north you can even experience the pleasure of cycling somewhere into a headwind and then returning home some hours later... into a headwind. Downhill is there every day.

mongers

I rather fancy a Citroen Ami, would fit my modest needs.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2021, 03:28:19 PM

Niet every day but very common. If you live up north you can even experience the pleasure of cycling somewhere into a headwind and then returning home some hours later... into a headwind. Downhill is there every day.

Isn't that so.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2021, 03:46:56 PM
They should just make an electric model of the 2CV and the DS like we all want <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2021, 03:08:02 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2021, 03:01:10 PM

That's just not possible in many cities here. 

How so?
Historically their current setup is a fairly recent post war development. Before that they did follow a more stereotypically European style.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

I haven't done anything yet, too much work. I've booked a test ride of the MG for Monday, I'll see if I have time for it.

I really appreciate all input here.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2021, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2021, 03:46:56 PM
They should just make an electric model of the 2CV and the DS like we all want <_<

Sadly I think the weight of the batteries will then kill their bouncy/wallowing ride feelings.

Jacob

Viper, that hill isn't that bad if you have an electric bike.

Admiral Yi

Yakie, your shameless social media influencing has planted a seed in my head.  How much did you say those rigs go for, like 2 grand?

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2021, 04:27:15 PM
How so?
Historically their current setup is a fairly recent post war development. Before that they did follow a more stereotypically European style.

(Quebec City is an exception to this, but overall) 1946 isn't that recent in terms of North American cities.  For instance Miami and Edmonton weren't incorporated as cities until 1895; they've been post-WWII cities for more time than they were pre-WWII cities.

Our population has shifted a great deal since the Second World War.  During the 1920s Florida was the smallest state in the south; today we're the third largest state in the Union.  Turning the clock back to 1939 is simply not a realistic option here.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock