News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

That makes sense - and I probably wouldn't cycle to work in my new job because it's a but more up in North London which would be a long ride every day. It would also involve crossing Euston Road which would absolutely terrify me :ph34r:

But I think there's lots of people who live in central-ish London boroughs, so reasonably close to work, plus lots of employers in outer boroughs which are a bit more suburban.

Also living in South London I think one of the benefits would be more easily getting around generally because I'm relatively well connected with buses and overground, but there's no tube near me and also there's very limited horizontal connections across South London. So I have friends who don't live that far from me by distance but are either a nightmare to get to by bus or involve going in to London Bridge/Blackfriars and then going out again. More often than not it's easier for us to meet somewhere central which is a bit of a shame.

I also think that might be why Hackney is the most cycling borough because I think there's similar lots of buses and overground but I always find bits of Hackney weirdly awkward to get to, so cycling makes sense.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2021, 08:07:22 AM
Is there much interest among London residents to take up cycling? I'll admit I never hear the topic come up except among cycling enthusiasts.

I cycle in to work in the City. It's about 7 miles and takes 30-35 minutes, about 15 minutes less than the train. I'd say that the number of cyclists on my commute outnumber cars. Not sure if that's a post lockdown thing as only started a couple of years ago

garbon

Quote from: Gups on November 06, 2021, 10:30:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2021, 08:07:22 AM
Is there much interest among London residents to take up cycling? I'll admit I never hear the topic come up except among cycling enthusiasts.

I cycle in to work in the City. It's about 7 miles and takes 30-35 minutes, about 15 minutes less than the train. I'd say that the number of cyclists on my commute outnumber cars. Not sure if that's a post lockdown thing as only started a couple of years ago

I'd be a human puddle. No thank you. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2021, 10:55:53 AM

I think you'd find that with an electric bike you'd be a lot less sweaty than you anticipate. Certainly, I don't get particularly sweaty from the 10 km I do to bring my boy to and from school - but it's still low impact exercise, and I've noticed my beer gut is slowly but steadily shrinking since I started.

Sheilbh

Also most offices I've worked in have a shower area which is normally actually quite nice. But also seems like a genuinely useful thing for employees unlike, say, the sleep pods or on-site doctors which just seem like excuses to stop people from leaving :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Also worth considering as already mentioned is that the current car focused setup of our civilization is a big part of the problem to be fixed and not the default that must be accommodated.
There's been a lot of talk lately about a move towards the 15 minute city for instance. I believe Paris has a head start but London is looking this way too.
https://londonlivingstreets.com/2020/10/25/the-15-minute-city-a-london-case-study/
https://citymonitor.ai/transport/pedestrians/what-is-a-15-minute-city

Basically if you have to go to an office 20 miles away then sure. Nobdlody is expecting most people to want to cycle.
But for popping to the chemist or kids going to school? That should be in your neighbourhood and very definitely not done by car.

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2021, 11:11:55 AM
Also most offices I've worked in have a shower area which is normally actually quite nice. But also seems like a genuinely useful thing for employees unlike, say, the sleep pods or on-site doctors which just seem like excuses to stop people from leaving :lol:

They have on site doctors in UK offices?

In Switzerland that was a very useful perk for me. I saved tonnes of money going through there rather than straight to a for profit doctor. Got my travel vaccines for free for one.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

@Jos - I don't really need to bike to get to all the amenities in my neighborhood.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 06, 2021, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2021, 10:55:53 AM

I think you'd find that with an electric bike you'd be a lot less sweaty than you anticipate. Certainly, I don't get particularly sweaty from the 10 km I do to bring my boy to and from school - but it's still low impact exercise, and I've noticed my beer gut is slowly but steadily shrinking since I started.

Maybe but I also know I can break a sweat easily. :(

Just looked up and my commute is 23km.

@Sheilbh - So I would get up earlier to make the journey by bike and additional time I'd need for showering at the office? Feels like a lot of lost sleep. -_-

HVC

Yeah if I have to shower at work I feel like I've made some terrible life decisions :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

This obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if you're the type that goes to the gym then substituting [biking + shower] for [gym + shower] & [other commute] has the potential to actually free up time. Obviously the gym is a different type of workout than biking, though, so it may be more or less relevant depending on what your goals are.

But like I said, I bike in a fairly low impact way and don't feel the need for a shower (except during the heat of peak summer). I don't think I'm particularly non-sweaty in general either. Some people bike like they're working out, and they'll typically want showers, but then it is a kind of two for one deal - you get your exercise in and you get from A to B.

Josquius

Same as Jacob. Cycling is no more inherently sweaty than walking.
The only people I've ever known who showered at working after cycling in were full on cyclists who made a habit of biking the sort of distance every morning that would take me all day and I'd boast about for years after.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 06, 2021, 02:37:27 PM
This obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if you're the type that goes to the gym then substituting [biking + shower] for [gym + shower] & [other commute] has the potential to actually free up time. Obviously the gym is a different type of workout than biking, though, so it may be more or less relevant depending on what your goals are.
There is no type of human I understand less than the people who can go to the gym in the morning before work.

Cycling has been for me basically about the same as my normal commute (except for one time when I somehow got lost) plus basically showered at the office instead of at home so it doesn't really change the timing that much.

QuoteBut like I said, I bike in a fairly low impact way and don't feel the need for a shower (except during the heat of peak summer). I don't think I'm particularly non-sweaty in general either. Some people bike like they're working out, and they'll typically want showers, but then it is a kind of two for one deal - you get your exercise in and you get from A to B.
I would add that for me (and I am profoundly unfit) it very much depends on whether you encounter any hills :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2021, 03:06:16 PM
There is no type of human I understand less than the people who can go to the gym in the morning before work.

:lol: :yes:

Jacob

... I would add that for me (and I am profoundly unfit) it very much depends on whether you encounter any hills :ph34r:

Hills are the reason to get an electric bike. I tried biking in Vancouver with a regular bike and I couldn't stick to it. Way too much dread about the hills, and way too much sweat. With an electric bike, hills a great.

Iormlund

I hate going to the gym after work. It's always the busiest time and I'm already tired and stressed out.

I used to swim at 7 AM, before work, and that was much better, despite me not being a morning person at all. I should really start doing that again.

Best of all was going to the gym at lunch time, which I did on my 30s for some time. I had like 5 years worth of unspent vacation time, so I just took evenings off work for a while.