Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I'm thinking some form of Italian.

But for 1800 how precise do I need to be.  Naples?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2009, 06:59:53 PM
I'm thinking some form of Italian.

But for 1800 how precise do I need to be.  Naples?

It ain't Italian, so that's close enough...and wrong.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 07:13:36 PM
Irish.
Bingo, Ambrose O'Higgins by name, minor nobility from County Sligo.

Admiral Yi

The Duke of Eckmuhl is better known by what name?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Pertaining to the book I finished somewhat recently...

What semi-famous French general was given credit  by the Western press for the "Miracle on the Vistula" despite having next to nothing to do with the victory there?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien