News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

QuoteNot considered academically gifted by his parents, he was given the choice of "either army or the colonies." He chose the colonies

What better qualification could one have to join RAF? No wonder he made to Air Marshall! Jolly good show...  :bowler:

Jaron

When you have sex with a family member
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alatriste

I'll take the floor if you don't mind, gentlemen.

Officers of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic armies did salute more or less in the modern way, but privates and NCOs saluted bringing their three middle fingers to their forehead, showing the palm of the hand. And the cause of this difference was...?

Jaron

Quote from: Alatriste on July 23, 2009, 02:08:54 AM

Officers of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic armies did salute more or less in the modern way, but privates and NCOs saluted bringing their three middle fingers to their forehead, showing the palm of the hand. And the cause of this difference was...?

Razgovory

So far we've had two questions with less then satisfactory answers.

"Where is Bomber Harris from?" which we have three answers:

Rhodesia, England and his mother.

And "What is a Viking" which we have two answers:

A thread in the wrong forum and a pirate.  So far this thread sucks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Palms forward probably meant they had to have clean hands. So the salute was different to ensure that the men kept their palms clean for some reason?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2009, 02:22:20 AM
Palms forward probably meant they had to have clean hands. So the salute was different to ensure that the men kept their palms clean for some reason?

Nope. That was a bit misleading, I mentioned that they showed the palm to give you an idea of the position of the hand.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

just to be different? Officers can't salute the same way as the ordinary soldier.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Jaron

Quote from: Octavian on July 23, 2009, 05:06:58 AM

just to be different? Officers can't salute the same way as the ordinary soldier.

Cerr

Was it something to do with showing that their fingers that were most needed in combat (like for firing a gun), were ok?

Alatriste

Nope, it's far easier than that...  :lol:

Josephus

Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 01:49:20 AM
When you have sex with a family member

About once a week. What do I win?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011