Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Viking on May 28, 2011, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: Sahib on May 28, 2011, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 28, 2011, 10:08:20 AM
Quote from: Sahib on May 28, 2011, 06:49:59 AM
You're up, Sahib. :)

Ok.
Name a person of Jewish descent who had the most impressive career in 1st century AD Roman government

While his jewish descent might be controversial, his grandfather did convert. Herod the Great. King of Judea, builder of the second temple, herodeum, caesarea and masada.

I'm thinking of someone who was actually a Roman official, not client kings or intellectuals.

Then that is the question you should have asked :contract:
He did mention roman government. i doubt you can stretch the descritption of client king far enough to say he's in the roman government.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Wags?  I didn't know he worked for the Italian government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Having spent twenty minutes googling and Wikipediaing do you mean Tiberius Julius Alexander?

Although regardless of whether or not that's right, we need a new question; who's up?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ideologue

Wasn't that Herod Agrippa dude Jewish?  He was pretty fun in I, Claudius.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2011, 08:44:15 PM

I tried Herod the Great, apparently client kings don't count as part of Roman Administration. The Romans themselves might have been a bit surprised to hear that though...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on July 09, 2011, 08:48:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2011, 08:44:15 PM

I tried Herod the Great, apparently client kings don't count as part of Roman Administration. The Romans themselves might have been a bit surprised to hear that though...

Do client kings use the cursus honororum? No? Then they're not part of the Roman administration in my book as well. :contract:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Reviving this thread.....
question is....

"Where is/was the Curzon Line?"

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

The question's kinda vague, don't you think?  Are you looking country (Poland), general area (eastern Poland), some type of geographical boundary it was supposed to be (parts of the Bug River, I recall, along with chunks of West Ukraine)?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Runs through Belorussia and Lithuania I would imagine.  It was the border suggested by Lord Curzon to settle the dispute between the Polacks and the Bolshois.

Viking

Habbaku gets it. The reason I used is/was was to enable people to basically use any sensible definition. I would have accepted any "historical" answer from "the line between soviet and nazi areas of poland under the molotov-ribbentropp pact" to "the post WWII border between poland and the USSR" to the border between modern Poland and Belarus and Ukraine.

I thought the name "Curzon" might send people off into a wild goose chase into India.

Admiral Yi

QuoteThe Curzon Line was put forward by the Allied Supreme Council[1] after World War I as a demarcation line between the Second Polish Republic and Bolshevik Russia and was supposed to serve as the basis for a future border. In the wake of World War I, which catalysed the Russian Revolution of 1917, the Russian Empire disintegrated in the ensuing Russian Civil War. Several countries, including Poland, used this occasion to declare their independence. Hostilities erupted when Polish and Bolshevik troops, approaching from opposing directions while taking over the territories of Ober Ost from the retreating German troops, met in the city of Masty.

The Allied Supreme Council tasked the Commission on Polish Affairs with recommending Polish eastern borders. The Allies forwarded it as an armistice line several times during the war, most notably in a note from the British government to the Soviets signed by Foreign Secretary George Curzon.

Wiccanpedia

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

FunkMonk

Three of the four founding members of the Soviet Union were the Russian SFSR, Ukrainian SSR, and the Belorussian SSR, corresponding of course to Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus.

What was the fourth founding Soviet republic and what modern country does it correspond to?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Guess: it's a trick question, and the answer is the Crimean SSR, corresponding to no modern country.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory