And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahib

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Razgovory

The problem with studying dark age Eastern Europe is the fact it's still ongoing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Sahib on May 27, 2011, 04:26:39 PM
Samo's State/Kingdom/Realm

:hmm:

That would be from Merovingian records, though...and it didn't survive the death of its' first and only ruler...I'd personally consider it marginal as a state, given its' impermanency and our lack of knowledge of its government structures.

Wikipedia's article on the state I am looking for does list Samo's realm as the first Slavic state, which disagrees with my own sources (including Heather's "Empires and Barbarians".)

:hmm:

No. I'm sticking by my guns; the state I'm after postdates Samo but predates Bohemia, Poland and the Rus etc.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sahib

Quote from: Agelastus on May 27, 2011, 04:47:32 PM
No. I'm sticking by my guns; the state I'm after postdates Samo but predates Bohemia, Poland and the Rus etc.

Great Moravia?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Agelastus

Quote from: Sahib on May 27, 2011, 05:04:45 PM

Great Moravia?

Correct!

You're up, Sahib. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

Well, at least I learned something today.  I never heard of Great Moravia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Agelastus on May 27, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

Great Moravia?

Correct!

:huh: That was my first thought, but I discarded it since Great Moravia was founded as a kingdom ca. 830, which is later than the Rus Khaganate.

Sahib

Ok.
Name a person of Jewish descent who had the most impressive career in 1st century AD Roman government
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Agelastus

Quote from: Solmyr on May 28, 2011, 04:48:54 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 27, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

Great Moravia?

Correct!

:huh: That was my first thought, but I discarded it since Great Moravia was founded as a kingdom ca. 830, which is later than the Rus Khaganate.

Since the first reference to the Rus Khaganate is from 838, and historians don't seem to think it was founded much earlier (not to mention the fact that the "Rus" referred to at this period were almost certainly Scandinavians and not Slavs) I don't see the problem.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: Sahib on May 28, 2011, 06:49:59 AM

Ok.
Name a person of Jewish descent who had the most impressive career in 1st century AD Roman government

The historian Josephus?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sahib

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Viking

Ok.

While his jewish descent might be controversial, his grandfather did convert. Herod the Great. King of Judea, builder of the second temple, herodeum, caesarea and masada.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sahib

Quote from: Viking on May 28, 2011, 10:08:20 AM

Ok.

While his jewish descent might be controversial, his grandfather did convert. Herod the Great. King of Judea, builder of the second temple, herodeum, caesarea and masada.

I'm thinking of someone who was actually a Roman official, not client kings or intellectuals.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Viking

Quote from: Sahib on May 28, 2011, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 28, 2011, 10:08:20 AM

Ok.

I'm thinking of someone who was actually a Roman official, not client kings or intellectuals.

Then that is the question you should have asked :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Paul was some kind of government official at one point, wasn't he?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?