News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 12, 2009, 10:55:01 AM
I have German ethnicity. I really have no need for this rule.
Well maybe... but your most recent question suggests to me that *we* have need for this rule. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 12, 2009, 10:55:01 AM
I have German ethnicity. I really have no need for this rule.
Well maybe... but your most recent question suggests to me that *we* have need for this rule. ^_^

So I can't ask questions about Eastern Europe, Arab World, Antiquity? Can I at least ask about Winsconsin and its glorious 50 year history?

Caliga

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 12, 2009, 01:43:17 PM
So I can't ask questions about Eastern Europe, Arab World, Antiquity? Can I at least ask about Winsconsin and its glorious 50 year history?
Yes.  Trivia questions about TSR, cheese, breweries, and the Packers amuse me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 11, 2009, 11:15:05 AM
Answers...

A. Spanish Ummayids (Admiral Yi) and Ghaznavids
B. Fatimids in Egypt (Admiral Yi), Buyids in Iraq and let's say the Yemeni Rassids, even though there 9 more such dynasties
C. Seljuks (garbon) and Almoravids

Werent the Samanids sunni?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2009, 02:09:41 PM
Answers...

B. Fatimids in Egypt (Admiral Yi), Buyids in Iraq and let's say the Yemeni Rassids, even though there 9 more such dynasties

They died in 999. ;)

Kleves

I'm taking the floot, you bastards.

Fabricius, although only a servent, was ennobled by the Hapsburgs after he was tossed out of a window during the Defenstration of Prague. Appropriately, his title became "von Hohenfall". Why was this title so appropriate?

Nota bene: no answers from Germans/Austrians will be accepted. :contract:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on November 12, 2009, 03:50:42 PM

Fabricius, although only a servent, was ennobled by the Hapsburgs after he was tossed out of a window during the Defenstration of Prague. Appropriately, his title became "von Hohenfall". Why was this title so appropriate?

Cause he fell out of a house?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Kleves on November 12, 2009, 03:50:42 PM

Not sure if I am excluded or not... but his title "Hohenfall" would be a High Fall.  Sick joke, that.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Kleves

Quote from: AnchorClanker on November 12, 2009, 03:53:47 PM
Not sure if I am excluded or not... but his title "Hohenfall" would be a High Fall.  Sick joke, that.
Got it in one. The Hapsburgs really know how to reward a fellow, eh?  :D
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

AnchorClanker

Wow... LONG time since I've played the HQ.... so here goes.

Who was son of a king, his mother was a Churchill, and he soldiered as a French General?

PS - I'll try to be back on SATURDAY to check answers.  Friday is impossible.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Gentlemen - it appears a clue is needed, so here goes.

The Duke of Marlborough was his uncle. 

Alexandru H.

Maurice de Saxe?

I know he is the son of a king, at least...

garbon

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 12, 2009, 01:43:17 PM

Just don't ask questions where you've selected the "correct" answers and we'll be good.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Ask anything you want within the rules.  If no one gets it, no one gets it.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2009, 02:09:41 PM
Answers...

As were the Ghaznavids and eventually the Seljuks.

I'm too drunk to debate right now, but something is fishy about this. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."