News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2009, 04:44:22 PM
This is a semi-Timmy Rule infracting question, but I liked it so much I'm going to ask anyway.

What was the average rate of fire of the English fleet at the battle of Gravelines (Spanish Armada).  For context rate of fire in Nelson's time was c. 3 rounds every five minutes for good crews.

I don't know the rate, but I know it was appallingly low in comparison... and the rate of the Armada, far lower still!

I'm raising my standard and seizing the floor, mainly to bump the thread.

A funny question: to which nationality did actually belong Tsar Nicholas II assuming Peter the Great was 100% Russian, German princesses 100% German, etc? Or, in other words, how much Russian blood did late Romanovs have?

Viking

Quote from: Alatriste on November 05, 2009, 03:28:47 AM
This is a semi-Timmy Rule infracting question, but I liked it so much I'm going to ask anyway.

What was the average rate of fire of the English fleet at the battle of Gravelines (Spanish Armada).  For context rate of fire in Nelson's time was c. 3 rounds every five minutes for good crews.

I don't know the rate, but I know it was appallingly low in comparison... and the rate of the Armada, far lower still!

A funny question: to which nationality did actually belong Tsar Nicholas II assuming Peter the Great was 100% Russian, German princesses 100% German, etc? Or, in other words, how much Russian blood did late Romanovs have?

Danish. Nicholas' mother was Danish.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 03:40:47 AM

Danish. Nicholas' mother was Danish.

Yes, he was actually a bit more than 50% Danish (Holstein-Gottorp is in Denmark) but... how much, or how little, Russian was the other 50%?

Note: You have already got the right answer, you can make your question if you wish.

HisMajestyBOB

The rest was German, IIRC - he was cousin to George IV or V, another mostly-German monarch.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

The question.

Who did Hitler dictate Mein Kampf to?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

His mother.

"That's very nice dear, but when are you going to settle down and get married? I'd like to have grandkids someday, you know."
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 04:19:28 AM
The question.

Hess?

As for the previous question, I knew that Nicholas II had not a blood of russian in him, mainly because of the 18th century female monarchs...

Alatriste

Just for fun (excluding brothers of previous Tsars, like Nicholas I, and with some rounding up)

Peter I 100% Russian
Peter II 50% Russian, 50% German
Peter III 50% Danish (Holstein-Gottorp), 25% Russian, 25% German
Paul I 62,25% German, 25% Danish, 12,5% Russian
Alexander I 81% German, 12,5% Danish, 6,25% Russian
Alexander II 90,5% German, 6,25% Danish, 3,1% Russian
Alexander III 95% German, 3,1% Danish, 1,6% Russian
Nicholas II 51,6% Danish, 47,5% German, 0,8% Russian

Of course, our initial premise is somewhat artificial, but the underlying truth is, Tsars were deeply involved in the power plays of Germany trough their ties with local aristocracy since a very early date, first in the protestant North and the Baltic (Holstein-Gottorp, Brunswick, Anhalt-Zerbst) but later, after the Seven Years War, also in Southern Germany  (Baden, Wurttemberg)

Equally interesting is that the only marriage between "equals" was the marriage between the future Tsar Nicholas I (brother of Alexander I) and Princess Charlotte of Prussia in 1817, just after the Napoleonic Wars.

Razgovory

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 05, 2009, 04:44:29 AM
The question.

Hess?

It does read like it was one madman dictating to another madman doesn't it?  He really needed a good editor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Once an hour for the English, once a day for the Spanish.

Viking

The question.

Hess?

As for the previous question, I knew that Nicholas II had not a blood of russian in him, mainly because of the 18th century female monarchs...

Hess is correct.

Alexandru H.

Following the WW2 line...

Otto Skorzeny is generally regarded as the man that "saved" Mussolini from the clutches of italian troops by getting him from the Gran Sasso motel. But the real hero of the operation was a german high-ranking general that actually followed the movements of the italians and managed to pinpoint the location of Mussolini. What's his name?

Hint: it's not hard at all...  :rolleyes:

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 07:44:00 AM
The question.

Hess?

It does read like it was one madman dictating to another madman doesn't it?  He really needed a good editor.

I actually enjoyed the first volume. The second is more theoretical, but the first can be read as a story of the movement, in very broad terms... And it's not the worst book you can read, in the same vein Hitler's paintings are not the worst art you can encounter...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2009, 09:02:45 AM
Once an hour for the English, once a day for the Spanish.

No wonder they lost.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.