News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Alatriste on October 09, 2009, 10:00:21 AM
OK. A tricky one... What biting nickname did Gnaeus Pompey use for Lucullus? (Hint, because otherwise it would be almost impossible: a movie has made the joke even funnier for us modern people)

Biggus Dickus?

Alatriste

Quote from: ulmont on October 09, 2009, 10:04:27 AM
OK. A tricky one... What biting nickname did Gnaeus Pompey use for Lucullus? (Hint, because otherwise it would be almost impossible: a movie has made the joke even funnier for us modern people)

Biggus Dickus?

Evidently, nope. Come on, boys, how many movies based on the Graeco-Latin world has Hollywood made in recent years? It's easier than it seems...

By the way, just to make the waiting more interesting, biting nicknames seem to have been common in the I century B.C. When he was young Cicero called Pompey 'adulescens carnifex' i.e., 'Teen Butcher'.

Agelastus

Quote from: Alatriste on October 09, 2009, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 09, 2009, 10:04:27 AM

Biggus Dickus?

Evidently, nope. Come on, boys, how many movies based on the Graeco-Latin world has Hollywood made in recent years? It's easier than it seems...

By the way, just to make the waiting more interesting, biting nicknames seem to have been common in the I century B.C. When he was young Cicero called Pompey 'adulescens carnifex' i.e., 'Teen Butcher'.

Cicero's nickname for Pompey I would have been able to identify; I didn't know the answer to your question until I looked it up.

It's funny, and your hint makes me chuckle as well, but I'll be very surprised (and impressed) if anyone on Languish knows it without looking it up.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

I keep thinking about the guy who wrote an invective about some politician wherein he said he was going to rip the guy's dick off and shove it up his ass, but I think you must be looking for a concise phrase.

Hmmm.... "Pig Fucker"?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Was Lucullus the one who liked 12 year old girls?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Alatriste

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2009, 09:31:56 PM
Was Lucullus the one who liked 12 year old girls?

The Romans were quite radical in their political campaigns - if we were to believe what we read, incest, arson and forgery of wills were the favorite pastimes of a fashionable young aristocrat - but yes, Lucullus was accused of that, amongst many other things...

Maladict

Alatriste

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 08:39:35 AM
Xerxes togatus?

Correct, Xerxes in a toga... which, if you have watched '300', would be a sight to kill for... at least for those so inclined.

Maladict

What did the Venetians do that highly impressed Henry III of France when attending a state banquet in the city?

The Brain

Survive the pressure cooker environment of their home world?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
What did the Venetians do that highly impressed Henry III of France when attending a state banquet in the city?

They were polite enough to not try to assassinate him?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Washed their hands?  Used napkins?

Maladict

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be