News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

So instead of a (kinda) history trivia question, we now have an Agelastus trivia question?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

24 hrs

They played as if they were "all backs".

So I open up the floor.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Easy one: The HMS Victoria was a British battleship that was sunk in 1893 in the Mediterranean. What happened?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

Caliga

Agelastus

Admiral Tryon (commanding the Mediterranean Fleet from Victoria) mistook his turning radiuses, no-one had the guts to tell him he was wrong or turn without an order from him, and Admiral Markham (his second in command) rammed Victoria with his own battleship that was leading the other column.

Which, if I recall correctly, was Victoria's own sister ship! :lmfao:

Stupid, stupid combination, rams and a single forward firing turret.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Threviel

It was rammed by another battleship during training maneuvers. HMS Camperdown perhaps?

Meh... Too late.

Caliga

Quote from: Agelastus on October 05, 2009, 06:52:18 AM
Admiral Tryon (commanding the Mediterranean Fleet from Victoria) mistook his turning radiuses, no-one had the guts to tell him he was wrong or turn without an order from him, and Admiral Markham (his second in command) rammed Victoria with his own battleship that was leading the other column.

Googled it.  :)

HisMajestyBOB

Agelastus has it!
That tale never ceases to amuse me. :lol:
And yes, it was the HMS Camperdown that did the ramming.

Agelastus

Quote from: Caliga on October 05, 2009, 06:54:15 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 05, 2009, 06:52:18 AM

Googled it.  :)

YOU BASTARD!!!!! :mad: :lol: :P :hug:

Actually, although I have several sources, the best account of the scandal I have ever read is from "The Rules of the Game, Jutland and British Naval Command" by Andrew Gordon. A book which just happens to grace my shelves, not that I needed to look it up - even in the detail above, which I note neglects to mention the name of Markham's flagship, as I cannot remember it (although I do remember that the Nile was second ship in Markham's column.)

It's a crying shame that Tryon was discredited by this accident. If he had lived and continued to influence the Royal Navy away from the rigid signals school exemplified by Jellicoe in WWI, then things might have gone very differently at Jutland.

Now I have to think of a question...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Ok, another easy one (and dammit, I need a broader selection of history books for inspiration, most of mine deal with Ancient Warfare or the Dreadnought era.)

Everyone knows the 300 Spartans died at Thermopylae (well, either 298 or 299 did, depending on whether Leonidas counted as one of the 300 or not.)

Anway, that's immaterial. The question is...

"Two other contingents stayed behind to die with the Spartans. From which Greek cities did they come?"

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

HisMajestyBOB

Agelastus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2009, 07:10:17 AM
Thebes and... er, Corinth?

You've got one (Thebes, 400 men - alleged to have surrendered, but now considered likely to have been from the anti-Persian faction of the later-to-medize Thebes, and thus killed with the Spartans.)

The other is a less famous city, and the one I really want...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Caliga