News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on September 25, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
What was Rome's secret "anti-elephant weapon" that saw its only known use at the battle of Beneventum against Pyrrhus of Epirus?

The Spiked Carts/Chariots that were supposed to intimidate/spear the Elephants, it didn't work. The Draught animals were petrified of the elephants and the whole scheme failed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 25, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
What was Rome's secret "anti-elephant weapon" that saw its only known use at the battle of Beneventum against Pyrrhus of Epirus?

The Spiked Carts/Chariots that were supposed to intimidate/spear the Elephants, it didn't work. The Draught animals were petrified of the elephants and the whole scheme failed.

Wrong weapon, wrong battle (that's Asculum, before he sashayed off to Sicily.) The one used at Beneventum was much simpler (assuming Dionysius is to be believed, which at least one prominent historian did.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Large bronze horns they used to try and startle the elephants with blasts of sound.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 05:17:06 PM
Because it used paper cartridges (iirc) the breech block seal was damaged after a few shots. So this is right. Over to you.
Paper cartridge in a breech loader?  That sounds odd.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 05:58:45 PM
Large bronze horns they used to try and startle the elephants with blasts of sound.

Not the one that springs to my mind; I'll have to re-research Beneventum.

I'm looking for something considerably more grotesque...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2009, 06:06:09 PM
Is this the pigs?

Yes...but you could add a bit more detail for the masses, please (if Scullard believed it who am I to argue?)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Viking

Is this the pigs?

I'm pretty sure the flaming pigs of RTW fame are fictional.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on September 25, 2009, 06:09:23 PM
Yes...but you could add a bit more detail for the masses, please (if Scullard believed it who am I to argue?)
I've no idea.  I remember reading the Romans used pigs against elephants.  I also played RTW, so I thought maybe they were fire pigs.  I mentioned the Roman fire pigs to a classicist friend of mine and was promptly slapped down.  I never read about the pigs again :sadblush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 06:10:27 PM
Is this the pigs?

I'm pretty sure the flaming pigs of RTW fame are fictional.

Not according to Dionysius, who's one of our few sources for the war. H H Scullard believed it to be not merely possible but fairly likely as well.

Given the ineffectiveness of the Romans previous try (the anti-elephant ox-carts) I can also see them being willing to try anything at this point, so I must admit I consider that it very likely happened as well.

Basically, you take a pig, tar him up, light him up, and let him go (hopefully in the direction of elephants, who are reputedly scared of fire and small squealing things.)

Fairly gross, but at least you could eat the roast pig after the battle.

Sheilbh's up.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2009, 06:56:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2009, 05:45:52 AM
I think Viking won.
Given the lengthy deductive stuff posted, he probably Googled it and that was all an attempt to obfuscate that fact. ^_^

He's right, though--I Googled it myself.  I really don't think anyone would have guessed it, so I'm cool with that.  :)
I totally knew this one, if only I'd paid attention to this thread.  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig

Colour me unconvinced. But since you cite a source and you claim it was used only once (as opposed to fire and screaming javelineers).

Sheilbh

I don't know if this is actually well known or not.

In the US it used to be the convention not to actively campaign to become President as it was unbecoming of the office.  Rather your friends and supporters would campaign for you.  Who was the first major candidate to campaign, stumping round the country?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2009, 06:23:45 PM
I don't know if this is actually well known or not.

In the US it used to be the convention not to actively campaign to become President as it was unbecoming of the office.  Rather your friends and supporters would campaign for you.  Who was the first major candidate to campaign, stumping round the country?
Stephen Douglas did as he tried to save the country from Civil War. The exertion may have directly led to his premature death.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point