And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: Zoupa on September 23, 2009, 10:14:29 PM
Bonaparte?
Nope. IIRC, he called Napoleon a  "mere butcher" or something similar after Waterloo.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Kleves

Nope. Not anyone from the Napoleonic Wars, in fact.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Kleves

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 24, 2009, 02:46:54 AM
Marlborough?
Wellington was referring to the greatest living general, so no.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Alexandru H.

If it's linked with Washington... is it Burgoyne?

Razgovory

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on September 23, 2009, 10:04:30 PM
The Duke of Wellington famously called this man the "greatest living soldier." Who was Wellington speaking of?

It's not a Frenchman nor an Indian, Wellington didn't rate any General he fought. Blücher has been guessed and honestly if he had compared Charles Hapsburg or Kutuzov to himself he would have been able to rate many a french Marshall higher. Post 1815 and Pre Wellington's death, since that is the period where he wouldn't rate himself and would be asked. So greatest Military achievement between Waterloo and the Crimean War, wogs don't count, and I'm not sure when Wellington died.

So, Bolivar, Radetsky, Scott. Pickings are pretty slim actually. Radetsky beat Italian rebels, Bolivar led a rebellion against a country that no longer really existed.

Winfield Scott?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Pat

Quote from: HVC on September 23, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 23, 2009, 08:57:16 PM
Quote from: miglia on September 23, 2009, 07:16:38 AM
They practice penile subincision, so as to have sex and ejaculate from the base of the penis, outside the vagina?

(as practiced by many primitive societies to avoid malthusian population pressure)
:x

I think it'd be easier to just pull out than to cut a hole in my wiener
You won't know til you try it :contract: :P

Or you could ask a member of the community of westerners who have "gone native", so to speak, and have tried it, and even made websites about it.

http://www.bme.com/news/people/A10101/subint.html (not quite safe for work)