News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Some more trivia: epicycles didn't fully explain the movements of the planets, either, so they added epicycles within epicycles. That also didn't work, and by the time Copernicus came around, the Ptolemaic model had gotten quite complex with a large number of epicycles.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2009, 06:26:55 AM
Some more trivia: epicycles didn't fully explain the movements of the planets, either, so they added epicycles within epicycles. That also didn't work, and by the time Copernicus came around, the Ptolemaic model had gotten quite complex with a large number of epicycles.

More trivia. Copernicus used them himself when the real elliptical orbits of the planets observed from earth didn't fit the predictions of his circular heliocentric orbits. He called the epicyclets.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 06:29:30 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2009, 06:26:55 AM

More trivia. Copernicus used them himself when the real elliptical orbits of the planets observed from earth didn't fit the predictions of his circular heliocentric orbits. He called the epicyclets.

Johannes Kepler FTW!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2009, 04:22:26 AM
Winfield Scott?
A bit late but: yep, you got it. Wellington avidly followed Scott's progress on a map mounted in his study. When Scott broke away from his supply lines after Vera Cruz, Wellington predicted that the Mexicans would make short work of Scott and his army. When Scott not only survived, but won a series of crushing victories and captured Mexico city, Wellington was moved to declare him the world's greatest living soldier.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

HisMajestyBOB

Probably a softball, but here it goes:

Which country contributed the 2nd highest peak number of troops to the Vietnam war, and the 3rd highest to the 2nd Iraq war? Note that I'm looking for foreign countries, so South Vietnam and Iraq aren't counted for this.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Drakken

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2009, 09:40:22 AM
Probably a softball, but here it goes:

Which country contributed the 2nd highest peak number of troops to the Vietnam war, and the 3rd highest to the 2nd Iraq war? Note that I'm looking for foreign countries, so South Vietnam and Iraq aren't counted for this.

South Korea (if Australia proves to be wrong, which was my first guess).

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteAustralia?
Nope.
That's what I had thought, too.

QuoteSouth Korea (if Australia proves to be wrong, which was my first guess).

That's it. 50,000 ROK Marines were sent to Vietnam to assist the Americans. From what I've read, they were quite effective, and according to my uncle who served in Vietnam with the USMC, you did not mess around with the ROK MC.

They also sent 3,200 troops to northern Iraq for peacekeeping and reconstruction. UK had ~40,000 at peak in Iraq, and Australia, 2,000.

Viking

During the 1860s the Royal Prussian Army was equipped with breech loading rifles. Now, despite having quick loading personal weapons with decent range the drill was to fire from the hip. Why?

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2009, 11:46:48 AM
During the 1860s the Royal Prussian Army was equipped with breech loading rifles. Now, despite having quick loading personal weapons with decent range the drill was to fire from the hip. Why?

Does it have something to do with the cavalry? I suppose horsemen would shoot like that while on horseback...

Agelastus

The seal on the breach was inadequate, meaning you risked losing an eye every time the rifle was fired. I believe this was a design flaw with the Dreyse needle gun.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on September 25, 2009, 04:54:49 PM

The seal on the breach was inadequate, meaning you risked losing an eye every time the rifle was fired. I believe this was a design flaw with the Dreyse needle gun.

Because it used paper cartridges (iirc) the breech block seal was damaged after a few shots. So this is right. Over to you.

Agelastus

What was Rome's secret "anti-elephant weapon" that saw its only known use at the battle of Beneventum against Pyrrhus of Epirus?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."