History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2009, 05:45:52 AM
I think Viking won.
Given the lengthy deductive stuff posted, he probably Googled it and that was all an attempt to obfuscate that fact. ^_^

He's right, though--I Googled it myself.  I really don't think anyone would have guessed it, so I'm cool with that.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2009, 06:56:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2009, 05:45:52 AM
I think Viking won.
Given the lengthy deductive stuff posted, he probably Googled it and that was all an attempt to obfuscate that fact. ^_^

He's right, though--I Googled it myself.  I really don't think anyone would have guessed it, so I'm cool with that.  :)

I'm insulted.  :cry:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Grey Fox

I remember reading that somewhere (about Scott). I wonder where.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Ok it seems I am up.

Back in the days when Homeopathy was actually cutting edge medicine and the balance of the black and yellow bile, blood and phlegm were the basis for diagnosis and treatment in medicine Edward Jenner observed that one group of people did not get Smallpox as often and were more likely to survive it if contracted. Which group of people was this and why did Jenner (correctly) surmise they were immune?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Dairy farmers, because they handled cows alot?

Maximus

Milkmaids, because of exposure to cowpox.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

Farmhands because they handled both cows and dairy maids?  :perv:

V

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on September 24, 2009, 07:19:11 AM
Yeah, I think that's right.  I knew it was something like this.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on September 24, 2009, 07:19:11 AM

Bingo. Direct contact with cows put them in contact with cowpox which gave them immunity to smallpox. Which led him to create a smallpox vaccine based on cowpox.

HisMajestyBOB

None of that is actually true, of course. Jenner just said that so he could play doctor with young milkmaids.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 24, 2009, 07:36:46 AM
None of that is actually true, of course. Jenner just said that so he could play doctor with young milkmaids.

meh, he didn't need that.. his favourite pickup line was "Have you seen my hot air balloon anywhere?" Jenner had game y'all.

Maximus

Prior to his invention of the diesel engine, Rudolph Diesel built an external combustion engine using something other than water vapour as the gas. What did he use, and what happened to this engine? Either answer will suffice.