News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Queequeg on September 19, 2009, 07:04:40 PM
The first Chinese dynasty to expand exert total control over China proper and eventually into what is now Central China, this dynasty is the origin of the word "China" and was famous for its totalitarian policies, especially in regards to philosophical works.  However, early in its history, this state was regarded as semi-barbarous by other Chinese states, as it was a bulwark against incursions by this nomadic people, and mixed with them, and eventually this Chinese dynasty began the introduction of Steppe art and technology into China. 

Name
1) The dynasty
2) The nomadic people

First should be easy, and I'd except reasonably close relatives of the second.

The answer is Nurhachi, first emperor of Manchu dynasty.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

The diamond, Jaron. The deal was for the diamond!  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 08:37:27 PM

The answer is Nurhachi, first emperor of Manchu dynasty.
You are literally thousands of years off. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

I believe there was a dynasty named the Chin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2009, 02:09:07 AM
I believe there was a dynasty named the Chin.
Qin=Chin.

Need answer to second, far less obvious question.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alexandru H.

Xiongnu. Quite an easy question.  :)

Agelastus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 20, 2009, 02:20:45 AM
Qin=Chin.

Need answer to second, far less obvious question.

I believe Caliga has given the correct answer, even if misspelled. Right?

alexandru H.

Hsiung-Nu and Xiongnu are one and the same - and incorrect, as I realised when I posted my answer (the date is too early, and the geographical location is marginally wrong.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Queequeg

Agelastus is right, and Xiongnu is wrong.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2009, 07:57:42 PM
So I'm right?  :huh:
Hmm.

Well.

Technically, no, but this is a pretty obscure topic and I'm giving you credit as the few sources we have compare them to the Yue-Zhi/Chi and that's impressively obscure.

I was looking for the Rong, or more generally the Wusun.  Indo-European Central Asian nomads who introduced a lot of vocabulary (iirc, words for Horse and Apple) into ancient Chinese  and had a big impact on their material culture and military (the chariot, cavalry).  Most evidence I've seen suggest that the Wusun were Indo-Iranian, but that's open to debate.  I would have accepted Saka too, mostly as it appeals to my EB fetish. 

Ancient Chinese histories speak of red haired, large men with odd noses and deep faces, and it is entirely  likely that this was true. Always thought that was neat.   

Agelastus

Yep, you're up Caliga. Although it appears I need to do some more research, as the Yue-zhi (who later became the Kushans, probably) seemed to be the absolutely correct answer to me. At 05.47AM UK time, I am off to do said research.

So where's our next question? ;)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

The inhabitants of Taumako Island in the Solomons chain are renowned for having what special skill?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

They practice penile subincision, so as to have sex and ejaculate from the base of the penis, outside the vagina?

(as practiced by many primitive societies to avoid malthusian population pressure)