And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Alatriste on September 17, 2009, 01:13:50 AM
OK, an easy one to get things moving...

Back in the first days of oceanic steam ships, one of the hottest arguments matched screw propellers against paddle wheels, but the Royal Navy settled the argument conclusively and once for all. How?

Note: Shouldn't that be Guillaume d'Yprés?

They used Paddle Wheel factories as target practice.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

Quote from: Alatriste on September 17, 2009, 01:13:50 AM
OK, an easy one to get things moving...

Back in the first days of oceanic steam ships, one of the hottest arguments matched screw propellers against paddle wheels, but the Royal Navy settled the argument conclusively and once for all. How?

Note: Shouldn't that be Guillaume d'Yprés?

They tied a paddle wheeler and a screw ship stern-to-stern and then tried to see which would pull the other along with both ships at full power - presumably they had identical steam plants.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alatriste

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 05:18:52 AM
They tied a paddle wheeler and a screw ship stern-to-stern and then tried to see which would pull the other along with both ships at full power - presumably they had identical steam plants.

Good enough.

In fact what the British did was build HMS Rattler, equipped with screw propeller but otherwise identical to the paddle wheelers of the Prometheus class, and conduct a series of trials and races. Rattler won fair and square... actually and as you say, those RN steampunk nerds even decided to chain both ships (Rattler and Alecto) and hold a tug-of-war contest. Initially Alecto seemed to be winning, but that was because her captain (in a quite unsportsmanlike way, I say) had had their machines ready while Rattler didn't. In the end Rattler towed Alecto 2,5 miles in an hour.

http://www.pdavis.nl/ShowShip.php?id=137 

Agelastus

Cheers Alatriste.

A nice simple one.

Who was the only known woman to be married to both Syphax of the Masaesyli and Massinissa of the Massylii?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 19, 2009, 12:19:41 PM
Cleopatra!

No! :D

But I really didn't think this was such a difficult question...there have been a number of plays, poems and operas about this apparently charming young lady. :( The name was even used for one of the female members of the Breckinridge family.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Agelastus on September 19, 2009, 01:18:26 PM
Cleopatra!

But I really didn't think this was such a difficult question...there have been a number of plays, poems and operas about this apparently charming young lady. :( The name was even used for one of the female members of the Breckinridge family.
Sophon somerthing?  Sophonissibia?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sahib

Quote from: Queequeg on September 19, 2009, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 19, 2009, 01:18:26 PM
Cleopatra!

Sophonisba.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Agelastus

Slightly misspelt, but close enough - you're up Queequeg.

Sorry Sahib - he was first and for a name like that I can't hold the spelling against him.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sahib

Quote from: Agelastus on September 19, 2009, 04:18:14 PM

Slightly misspelt, but close enough - you're up Queequeg.

Sorry Sahib - he was first and for a name like that I can't hold the spelling against him.

In my generosity I was going to concede to him anyway  -_-
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Queequeg

The first Chinese dynasty to expand exert total control over China proper and eventually into what is now Central China, this dynasty is the origin of the word "China" and was famous for its totalitarian policies, especially in regards to philosophical works.  However, early in its history, this state was regarded as semi-barbarous by other Chinese states, as it was a bulwark against incursions by this nomadic people, and mixed with them, and eventually this Chinese dynasty began the introduction of Steppe art and technology into China. 

Name
1) The dynasty
2) The nomadic people

First should be easy, and I'd except reasonably close relatives of the second. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Agelastus

Qin certainly, but it's too early for the Hsiung-nu.

I need to think... :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

I've looked it up, and I am pissed at myself. :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points