4 dead, 159 missing in Miami building collapse

Started by DGuller, June 24, 2021, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on June 25, 2021, 01:06:35 PM
The government should be footing the bill to repair older buildings to bring up to current norms, but if we're talking about solidifying foundations, it's not gonna be easy and it will involve a lot of billions$.  Not sure the Floridian voters will agree to pay a lot more in taxes to finance that.

Why should the government be footing the bill for that?

The government didn't pay for new buildings to be up to current standards, and it didn't pay for older buildings that exceeded the codes pre andrew. Seems like a bailout of landlords and other large property owners that have unsafe buildings.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Just awful. :(

The only good thing I saw was that man who pulled that child out of the wreckage.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2021, 08:53:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2021, 07:51:16 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2021, 07:39:33 AM
How many other buildings are at risk, and what measures are being taken regarding those?
It's Florida, so almost all buildings are at risk of subsidence and collapse.

There are no building codes?
Florida is mostly limestone so sinkholes can strike anywhere, anytime.

EDIT: Or not, as the above map demonstrates. Learned something today.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The discussion/speculation with the engineer talking heads seems to revolve around the integrity of the foundations and/or supporting structures on the lower levels. Some combination of construction and maintenance. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

That is some extensive damage and maintenance issues. I can probably guess the decision was made it would be ungodly expensive to do the repairs so just hope nothing goes wrong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Also some bad writing - surely you lead with the most serious issues and what needs to be done about them rather than issues with the window sealent and balconies :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2021, 04:11:49 PM
Also some bad writing - surely you lead with the most serious issues and what needs to be done about them rather than issues with the window sealent and balconies :blink:

I think you can expect the client to read the whole report.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

As an engineer I often do a certain order when I write reports, not even bothering to mention some serious issue until I get to that part of the report, so it could be that is just how this engineer's reports are written.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

As a lawyer - I've always learned that clients will probably read one or two pages at most (especially if they're not also lawyers) so make sure the most important information is at the top and possibly in bold :lol:

Edit: And - "for detailed analysis please see schedule/appendix/annex".
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

I bet they were putting the report together with standard forms and those were easy issues to write up and complete. You put them at the top of the report so the last sections to be completed won't interfere with the spacing of the previously completed sections.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2021, 04:20:44 PM
Edit: And - "for detailed analysis please see schedule/appendix/annex".

Oh God. Half the lawyers I work with want me to call those "exhibits" and the other half want me to call them "attachments"

They just keep changing it from one to the other arbitrarily whenever I want to file something.

The Brain

As a lawyer - I've always learned that clients will probably read one or two pages at most (especially if they're not also lawyers) so make sure the most important information is at the top and possibly in bold :lol:

I'm not aware of any industry where not reading safety reports is an option.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2021, 04:25:15 PM

I'm not aware of any industry where not reading safety reports is an option.

It looks like the report was addressed to the condo board. I wonder who was on that, and if they cared.