News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4 dead, 159 missing in Miami building collapse

Started by DGuller, June 24, 2021, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

When I was living in my previous apartment, I was a little concerned about the crack running all the way down my bedroom wall, or the fact that my bedroom was so not level that my office chair was rolling away on its own.  I reassured myself, though:  surely in the Western world, a building isn't just going to collapse because the ground settles a little.  Well, about that... 

How the fuck does a condo building go and collapse all on its own, seemingly without any help from explosives?

Admiral Yi

Found out what the hell Guller was talking about.  Condo collapsed in Florida.

DGuller

Wow, the video is horrifying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR29pLccutY Imagine being in the second section to fall down.  At least the people in the first section probably didn't have time to realize what hit them.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

That's really crappy soil to build on, and I bet that's going to turn out to be part of the cause.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

If you look at that building on Google Maps, it looks like it survived the Siege of Sarajevo from some of the angles.  Chunks of concrete are missing all over the place, one of the balconies seems to have a hole in it covered only by exposed rebars, and someone on reddit pointed out a large crack.  For all I know, maybe all 40-year old buildings have chunks of concrete raining from it, but it does look bad at first glance.

Grey Fox

Around here, it's salt filled water that fucks our concrete roads.

Rusted rebars didn't help when the ground collapsed under the garage.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

How many other buildings are at risk, and what measures are being taken regarding those?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2021, 07:39:33 AM
How many other buildings are at risk, and what measures are being taken regarding those?
It's Florida, so almost all buildings are at risk of subsidence and collapse.

Nothing
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Is there a way to move the the related posts from the OT thread?  I didn't realize how bad the situation was when I first started a discussion there, it looked like a facade peeled away.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2021, 07:51:16 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2021, 07:39:33 AM
It's Florida, so almost all buildings are at risk of subsidence and collapse.

There are no building codes?