News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hours in your work week

Started by merithyn, June 07, 2021, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many hours do you work - on average - every week?

salaried < 35
salaried 36-40
salaried 41-45
salaried 46+
salaried varies
hourly < 35
hourly 36-40
hourly 41-45
hourly 46+
hourly varies

merithyn

I had an interesting conversation with my manager today. She's obviously offended that I work different hours than she'd prefer, but can't really do anything about it because the agreement for when I work was made before she became my manager. For the record, I work 6am-4pm Pacific Time, which is 8am - 6pm my time (Central Time). I rarely get a lunch, so that's a solid 10-hour day, five days a week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am supposed to leave at 3pm PT (5pm CT) so that I can study, but that also rarely happens as people regularly schedule me for meetings well after those times.

Given her druthers, I would work standard hours of 9am - 5pm PT. Mind you, when I lived in Portland and worked in the office, my hours were 7am - 4:30pm, and I took a lunch every day, so my schedule hasn't really changed much, except that I'm working a lot more hours.

Today, I asked her what hours our new person was going to be working, since she's Mountain Time and because I was trying to set up some meetings with her for training. Her response was, "Salaried employees do not have schedules or hours." She followed that up with, "I will ask her what her preferred schedule looks like, but I just want to be clear that my expectations of all salaried employees are in line with [Company].  That is, your schedule is dictated by your workload.  There are no set hours."

Right now, on average, I work around 50 hours a week. Our busy season starts next month, where that will likely be upped to closer to 55-60 hours a week until the end of the year.

This got me thinking. What is the "norm" for salaried employees? I know that it will differ based on the type of work, the level of performance you're at, etc., but it would be interesting to know what the basic expectations are on average.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Salaried. Varies. Usually 45 hours, but spikes during month end.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Salaries. Up and down but I'd say low 40s.

But moving to a new role and it'll be interesting to see what that is.

Edit: Although my contract hours were 0930-1730. And I am militant about lunch.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

I'm hourly at my current position and do 40 hours each week, never less, and very, very rarely more.

My previous job was salaried and I did exactly 40 hours each week there as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Salaried, they expect 37.5 over 5 days. I usually do that, no matter the workload. Some weeks I'll do up to 41.5 but I bank the extra hours.

My GF is salaried & her work week is 35h, she can bank up to 10 hours per 20 days period.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

I manage about a dozen developers, and my expectation is that in a normal week it is 40 hours.

I have no problem demanding more, potentially even a lot more, if some specific set of circumstances demand it - a deployment, some crisis with a customer, we have all worked over the weekend at times.

ON the other hand, I tell my devs that if they find they are consistently, without some kind of crisis, working more than 40-44 hours a week, something is wrong and they should talk to me and we will get it resolved.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maladict

40 hours. Starting a new job in September where I'll make a fair bit more but I won't be able to bank overtime. If I find myself doing overtime regularly I'm prepared to take a 20% pay cut and work 4 days a week. Time > money

Josquius

Define work.
Procrastinating whilst trying to work or actual productive time?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Not really sure what the difference between salaried and hourly?

My employment contract says I should work 8 hours a day and get x per month as salary. If I work more, I can bank that and take that time off later. Since I moved to a managerial position, it is my own responsibility to track my work time and vacation days.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2021, 03:18:58 PM

My employment contract says I should work 8 hours a day and get x per month as salary. If I work more, I can bank that and take that time off later. Since I moved to a managerial position, it is my own responsibility to track my work time and vacation days.

Generally if you're eligible for overtime you're hourly.

Zanza

QuoteThat is, your schedule is dictated by your workload.  There are no set hours.
:lol: Fuck off. That's a shit attitude. If there is more work than your team can manage in the available time, you are a shitty manager. You need to either reduce workload or increase capacity then. Just whipping the team will not lead to sustainable results.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2021, 03:22:32 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2021, 03:18:58 PM

Generally if you're eligible for overtime you're hourly.
I see. Just googled it and that distinction does not have an equivalent provision in our labor law. Overtime pay exists, but it's not some seemingly automated thing like in the US.

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2021, 03:23:39 PM
QuoteThat is, your schedule is dictated by your workload.  There are no set hours.
:lol: Fuck off. That's a shit attitude. If there is more work than your team can manage in the available time, you are a shitty manager. You need to either reduce workload or increase capacity then. Just whipping the team will not lead to sustainable results.

Indeed. That is just dumb management.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

I worked hourly until I got into management, then it changed to salaried. Obviously I've worked weekends etc when the situation demanded it, but I've never worked an insane amount of hours. My impression is that I am reasonably good at prioritizing tasks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

I am exempt salary (no overtime).  UC expects me to get my job done each week.  If I am regularly working more than 40 or less than 40, the policy is to try and balance work out to be closer to 40.  That said, many (many, many) people here work far less than 40 hours per week for their 40 hours a week paycheck.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM