News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hours in your work week

Started by merithyn, June 07, 2021, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many hours do you work - on average - every week?

salaried < 35
salaried 36-40
salaried 41-45
salaried 46+
salaried varies
hourly < 35
hourly 36-40
hourly 41-45
hourly 46+
hourly varies

Threviel

I worked at a call center once, they had work days lasting either 7, 8 or 9 hours with 30 or 45 min lunch. All statistics showed that no matter what combination each employee did almost exactly the same work independent of working hours and lunch was equally long independent of scheduled lunch. We logged in to a call system with computers so they had very exact statistics.

The employees were also dissatisfied and turnover was 100%+ yearly.

So they did what HR people do and mandated 8 hrs and 45 min lunch for everyone always.

Personally I would have gone with 7 hour days and 30 min lunch, especially as demand was highest in the mornings and evenings, so one hour midday could be cut from everyone almost without consequences.

I don't really believe in long working days, I have a span of about 5 hours when I'm working at peak efficiency, the rest of the day I might as well just garden or whatever.

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on June 09, 2021, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2021, 08:29:00 AM
Salaried, at least 60 every week and often more, especially during QE close when it's often closer to 100.

Will this lead to an early retirement or an early grave? Tune in to find out!

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?"

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2021, 08:29:00 AM
Salaried, at least 60 every week and often more, especially during QE close when it's often closer to 100.

He twerks hard for the money. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I'll give my answer, but I don't know how many people fall into my situation.

So I'm in government, non-unionized, non-management - which is a category probably only lawyers fall into.  But of course we work in an overall union workplace, as all non-lawyers are members of the union.  As such our official work hours are 37.5 per week, starting at 8:15, ending at 4:30 (45 minute lunch).

So I mostly keep to those hours.  Honestly I come in a bit after 8:15, and leave by 4:15 most days.

But I am salaried.  If court runs late - too bad.  If I need to work late or on a weekend because of a big trial - too bad.  But I'm experienced enough I don't usually need to work extended hours to prepare my trials (as a baby Crown it was a different story).

We're also given a system of Earned Days Off (EDO) which are supposed to make up for that unpaid overtime.  But the downside is you can not schedule one in advance.  But if you have a free day in your calendar for that month you can get it off as an EDO.  But given how much is put on my schedule to begin with, and given the need to actually do work when I'm not in court, I think I take about 1.5 EDOs per year.

So anyways - I'm answering 35-40 (but with spikes).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Probably the latter. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on June 09, 2021, 06:10:31 PM
But why?
Living in Kentucky ain't what it used to be :(
Back in the goold old days, all you had to worry about was a stray Cherokee tomahawk going your way.
Now, I can only imagine the kind of horrors that surface everyweek to mandate a 100 hours workweek to survive. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

I can't imagine what kind of horror a state with Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul as its Senators has to offer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

On paper, my work week is 38.75 hrs (we do 45-min lunches). In practice, I have clocked 53 hours of work time in a single week before, and as I have one of the absolute highest-level positions in the company that's non-exempt, I take my pound of flesh for it. Lately, I've gotten it down to around 40 even, but it won't go down to the scheduled slots without staffing up with all the crazy expansion projects I've been up to my eyeballs in.

And Meri, that's not just "indecent ideas" about salary-work-life balance, that's a labor lawsuit waiting to happen. Hoping you can escape to greener pastures soon, definitely before somebody hauls out an employment contract and starts highlighting hours commitments...
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2021, 05:55:58 PM
Probably the latter. :)

You can always post on Languish if it gets too stressful at work. Maybe that relaxes you and helps your health and peace of mind. Civil War hijacks always do that for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."