News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hours in your work week

Started by merithyn, June 07, 2021, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many hours do you work - on average - every week?

salaried < 35
salaried 36-40
salaried 41-45
salaried 46+
salaried varies
hourly < 35
hourly 36-40
hourly 41-45
hourly 46+
hourly varies

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2021, 02:49:46 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2021, 03:49:48 PM
I worked hourly until I got into management, then it changed to salaried. Obviously I've worked weekends etc when the situation demanded it, but I've never worked an insane amount of hours. My impression is that I am reasonably good at prioritizing tasks.

Addendum: I've never had a boss who judged my performance based on my hours.

My old job was partially that way. "[Colleague] was in the office till 2 am to meet the deadline!" (Yeah, no wonder if she spends half her working day surfing the internet and two hours drinking coffee with her best buddy ... )

Or another colleague/friend who got an average performance review because even though he overfulfilled his targets he "left already between 5 and 6 when the rest of the team starts to be really productive and collaborate on exciting projects" (never mind he arrived at the office two hours earlier than the others).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

At my previous job there were some bean counters in an office close to the main entrance. They would do nothing but comment on the times other people came in and left. It was pretty obvious some managers loved that kind of information for performance reviews.
They were comprehensively shunned, of course, which only made them more bitter and spiteful.

The Larch

Self employed, all over the place. Lately I'm doing 30h per week, but that can change drastically in some periods.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on June 07, 2021, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2021, 10:41:11 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2021, 10:26:02 PM
New manager was hired last October. She has decided that 45-50 should be the norm. God only knows what she'll consider the "busy season".

Why on earth would you acquiesce to that when the norm was already established at 40?
I don't know, but the life of Merry seems to follow a disting pattern since I've been reading her:
Get a job with decent working conditions, decent wage and a qualified&understanding manager.
Said manager leaves the company/moves higher up/retires.
New manager comes in and somehow picks on her or poison her entire team.
Moves to a new job with decent working conditions, decent wage and a qualified&understanding manager.
...Repeat...  ;)

The first few times, I thought maybe, well, I don't know her personally, so maybe once she gets to work, she goes from Dr Jekyll to Ms Hide? :P  But now, I think she just has natural bad luck with work.  I only know of one other person in my life like that.

Well, whatever it is you find next Merry, I only wish you the best and for a long time :)

In this case, it was Best Manager Ever leaves for another team. They hire a piss-poor replacement who not only couldn't keep up, but blamed me/the team for his failings. He left the company under really bad terms while proving that he was a pathological liar. Hire a decent manager who has very indecent ideas on work expectations, which is poisoning the team's productivity and morale.

My current coworker is applying for a position with the Best Manager Ever. She had one interview with him and was like, "OMG! He's really the best ever!" Ayep.... he is....  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on June 07, 2021, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2021, 10:41:11 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2021, 10:26:02 PM
New manager was hired last October. She has decided that 45-50 should be the norm. God only knows what she'll consider the "busy season".

Why on earth would you acquiesce to that when the norm was already established at 40?
I don't know, but the life of Merry seems to follow a disting pattern since I've been reading her:
Get a job with decent working conditions, decent wage and a qualified&understanding manager.
Moves to a new job with decent working conditions, decent wage and a qualified&understanding manager.
...Repeat...  ;)

The first few times, I thought maybe, well, I don't know her personally, so maybe once she gets to work, she goes from Dr Jekyll to Ms Hide? :P  But now, I think she just has natural bad luck with work.  I only know of one other person in my life like that.

Well, whatever it is you find next Merry, I only wish you the best and for a long time :)
So....The moral of the story is if you want a promotion hire Meri?
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2021, 08:56:44 AM
So....The moral of the story is if you want a promotion hire Meri?

I do tend to make my managers look good. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2021, 02:48:33 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 07, 2021, 10:33:18 PM
I think poor people management training of managers is probably the biggest drain on productivity in the corporate world.  Some people should just never be allowed into management, because they have authoritarian or sadistic tendencies, but others are just badly trained and are making the lives of their employees miserable for no good reason.

:angry: If you have something to say just spit it out.

I pity the poor sap who reports to Brain.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 08, 2021, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2021, 02:48:33 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 07, 2021, 10:33:18 PM
I think poor people management training of managers is probably the biggest drain on productivity in the corporate world.  Some people should just never be allowed into management, because they have authoritarian or sadistic tendencies, but others are just badly trained and are making the lives of their employees miserable for no good reason.

:angry: If you have something to say just spit it out.

I pity the poor sap who reports to Brain.  :(

His goat herder-in-chief?

Caliga

Salaried, at least 60 every week and often more, especially during QE close when it's often closer to 100.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2021, 08:29:00 AM
Salaried, at least 60 every week and often more, especially during QE close when it's often closer to 100.

Fuck that noise. I mean...unless you are one of those lucky people who genuinely enjoys their job and would actually rather spend hours 45-60 doing that instead of something else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Will this lead to an early retirement or an early grave? Tune in to find out!

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 09, 2021, 09:50:29 AM

Will this lead to an early retirement or an early grave? Tune in to find out!

For me it had led to deep depression. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I could handle that for maybe two weeks in a row. Fuck that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

In my previous job I had a period where I was working 7 am to 7 pm Mon - Fri, plus 8 hours each on Saturday/Sunday for well over two weeks to meet a deadline. At the end I was physically and mentally exhausted, and my reward was:
- a "thank you" from my manager
- HR throwing a hissy fit over the overtime and reminding me that extra hours don't carry forward into the following month

This experience was quite instructive, and I never did something so stupid again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I don't know how in any world I could pull out that kind of hours. Maybe if you offered to 3x my salary?

The Giant American conglomerate will fire me at the first occasion they get, why would I do more for them?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.