News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I really hope "soft" colonialism will come back, either via mod or DLC.

The way the systems are set up, having foreign investments in your market could add a whole new layer to the game.

First, add a law that allows foreign investments ranging from banned to investment allowed, to actively seeking investors for certain industries.

Second, since we have ownership per building, add an option for foreign investors - they will provide most funding AND syphon most of the profits.

Third, add a foreign investor interest group (per investing country?) that gains political power the more investment they have (eventually creating "banana republics" and controlling your government).

Forth, if the country tries to take back control from foreigners or otherwise piss them off (similar to industrialists, but maybe more extreme?), they add radicals if they have "normal" supporters, but also damage relations with the foreign country ramp up the chance for the foreign powers to interfere and start a diplomatic play on you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The AI formed Germany and it's ... beautiful ... ? :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

How does the game handle the Austro-Hungarian Compromise btw?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 31, 2022, 03:25:55 AMHow does the game handle the Austro-Hungarian Compromise btw?

Once Hungarian becomes an accepted culture (most likely by switching to racial segregation), A-H auto-forms making Hungarian a second primary culture.

The problem of course that this does it kind of backwards - I have not spotted a practical difference between primary or accepted culture so the tag-switch is meaningless and in fact goes against what the original idea and compromise: in the game to form A-H you elevate all nationalities to equal practical status to Austrian. In real life they elevated Hungarians to (almost) equal status so they wouldn't have to do that for the rest of the nationalities.

Solmyr

In my low AI aggression Sweden learning game, Prussia eventually formed Germany just fine. It did get beat up by Austria a couple of times. The UK somehow barely colonized anything, so Africa was mainly a race between me and France. I also managed to beat Russia at some point while barely fighting them - the main war was me conquering Wadai, in which Russia intervened, so I added a war goal of transferring control of Finland. Got Russia to sufficient war exaustion mostly by blockading the Baltic, since my ships were a grade or two above theirs. My only naval invasion attempt failed, but they still accepted the loss of Finland after a while.

There's an annoying bug btw where if you make peace with an uprising, it becomes permanently unable to be targeted by diplomatic plays, so you cannot reconquer it anymore. Annoyingly, the world map has a bunch of "uprising" states which cannot be dealt with anymore. Hopefully that gets patched quickly.

Also, characters seem to routinely live to be over 100 years old. This is a bit silly and leads to too few changes in the political landscape.

FunkMonk

This game really needs a newspaper mod that highlights interesting events in other countries.

I mean there is a person holding up a newspaper on the Victoria 3 opening splash screen for Christ's sake
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Now that was a bit of a surprise; Otto von Bismarck, leader of the junkers, got caught frequenting a male brothel in Berlin :pickelhaube

I'm trying to cover it up  :cool:

Syt

I had an even where an 80 year old politician of mine was marooned on an island with a Russian general who was hunting him for sport. My politician survived and the Russian general died. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, do yourself a favor and occasionally zoom in on the map. Pretty much all your buildings pop up on the map somewhere, transforming the landscape, growing towns etc. It's quite pretty. :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

German "communism"  :hmm:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 31, 2022, 12:39:41 PMNow that was a bit of a surprise; Otto von Bismarck, leader of the junkers, got caught frequenting a male brothel in Berlin :pickelhaube

Add it to this and the Eulenburg affair :o
    "In an effort to distract him, the kaiser's entourage decided to put on an entertainment, the kind that amused him: a ballet spectacular performed by the middle-aged members of his various cabinets. The climax was a performance by Field Marshal Count Dietrich von Hülsen-Haeseler, the hefty, fifty-six-year-old chief of Wilhelm's military cabinet. Described in some sources as wearing a pink tutu ("not for the first time," Zedlitz-Trützschler wrote), in others a pink ball gown – what was undisputed was that he was in drag – with a large feather in his hair, he performed a series of energetic pirouettes, jumps and capers, flirtatiously blew kisses to his audience, stumbled off the stage and suffered a massive heart attack that killed him instantly. It was reported that by the time the doctors arrived, rigor mortis was so far advanced that it was extremely difficult to get Hülsen out of his tutu and into his military uniform. The story made Wilhelm look even more irresponsible and odd; in the French, Italian, and British papers there were gleeful screeds about German moral degeneracy."
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Interesting:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1587095045143871489?s=20&t=5YUllC6nm2yUXM4OQhU1kQ

QuoteMartin Anward
@Martin_Anward
With
@PDXVictoria
 now released, the team is hard at work fixing bugs and addressing your feedback. One of the first mechanics we're tweaking is Legitimacy, increasing its impact and making it so share of votes in government matters far more, especially with more democratic laws.

Syt

The game has a pandemic event. If you thought that the random comets in EU2 were bad .... :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 31, 2022, 12:39:41 PMNow that was a bit of a surprise; Otto von Bismarck, leader of the junkers, got caught frequenting a male brothel in Berlin :pickelhaube

It is an event that has triggered in both my Russian games.  In one game it was the leader of the religious party, and I wondered if someone at Paradox just had a wicked sense of humour given what is happening in Russia today.  But in the second game it fired for the leader of the Industrialists.  And now I see it is firing in every country.