News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I watched a developer stream this or last week. In three hours they managed to unite Germany as Prussia, mostly focusing on allying the minors etc. They also went fully republican IIRC, abolishing the monarchy around 1849. They mostly ignored all other diplomacy and kept building up industries etc. and reacting to events. Getting through 30 years at speed 5 in a few hours is quite impressive, though other goings on around the world seemed weird (Egypt taking strange territories from Ottomans, US Civil War seeing much of the North West joining the Confederacy, China's muslim territories becoming a heavenly kingdom (or whatever the Taipeh Rebellion was called in game) .... maybe it was them not interacting much with the wider world or internal mechanics, focusing exclusively on unification, but it all seemed a bit too easy (building Germany), and I didn't get an impression they had to watch internal politics much besides enacting laws to keep people a bit happy.

It left me a bit apprehensive, and I hope that it just looked that way on stream. Though I'm not sure I like the menu designs etc. at the moment. It looked all a bit cluttered/"noisy" for my tastes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

German unification is half-baked; one of the devs admitted it on the forum.  It is currently set up so that German states steadily join Prussia until the NGF is formed; Prussia need do little other than not implode. Germany can then be formed by starting and winning a diplo play vs Austria and holding the required number of provinces. War with France is not required. It is clear that they are going to wait to implement a proper system via DLC.  Unfortunate.

The USCW issue appears to be a bug whereby northern states with lots of landowners that oppose abolitionism join the southern confederacy.  Presumably will be fixed by patch but perhaps not in the initial release version.

The peace deal issue has been in each of the streams and the worst manifestation was not the Khedive taking a Greek province, but rather Russia taking a chunk of the Japanese home islands in the 1840s.  This appears to be a typical Pdox AI problem that I would expect to take upwards of a year to patch to reasonability.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2022, 01:12:56 PMI watched a developer stream this or last week. In three hours they managed to unite Germany as Prussia, mostly focusing on allying the minors etc. They also went fully republican IIRC, abolishing the monarchy around 1849. They mostly ignored all other diplomacy and kept building up industries etc. and reacting to events. Getting through 30 years at speed 5 in a few hours is quite impressive, though other goings on around the world seemed weird (Egypt taking strange territories from Ottomans, US Civil War seeing much of the North West joining the Confederacy, China's muslim territories becoming a heavenly kingdom (or whatever the Taipeh Rebellion was called in game) .... maybe it was them not interacting much with the wider world or internal mechanics, focusing exclusively on unification, but it all seemed a bit too easy (building Germany), and I didn't get an impression they had to watch internal politics much besides enacting laws to keep people a bit happy.

It left me a bit apprehensive, and I hope that it just looked that way on stream. Though I'm not sure I like the menu designs etc. at the moment. It looked all a bit cluttered/"noisy" for my tastes.

Funky AI peace deals is something we are going to have I think. And the railroading of the North German Federation can be debated.

But as far as I could tell, their democratisation was more interesting and challenging than it ever was in Vicky 2. They did it by riding the Spring of Nations events and mechanics, they managed their Influence Groups to steer society the direction they wanted, they had revolutionaries to contend with etc.

I don't doubt there'll be plenty to improve on but I am very excited.

Tamas

Pre-ordered the season pass edition.  :sleep:

Tamas

FYI Paradox started posting short explainer snippets made by some Youtuber guy:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ParadoxGrandStrategy

They'll be excuse enough to skip the tutorials, but I'll still probably start with a Sweden game to get the basic hang of things before playing Austria.

Habbaku

I'll be starting with boring, peaceful Switzerland to begin with, I think. After I've got the mechanics down, either Portugal, Spain, or France are next to handle progressively terrible political issues.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

The income and wealth tutorial is pretty cool I skimmed over the dev diaries too much to realise there is this level of complexity and interconnectedness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFboIELDmq0

Zanza

I will of course play with Prussia first. #pickelhaube

Syt

I tend towards Argentina as first game for some reason.

I'm a bit worried about how robust/buggy the simulation will be on release, considering the interaction of politics, interest groups, money, goods, trade etc. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I was too afeared to ever attempt any of the Victoria games (even if I owned at least one of them I think). I am lowkey curious though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2022, 01:03:55 PMI was too afeared to ever attempt any of the Victoria games (even if I owned at least one of them I think). I am lowkey curious though.

I am very disappointed in you.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2022, 01:19:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2022, 01:03:55 PMI was too afeared to ever attempt any of the Victoria games (even if I owned at least one of them I think). I am lowkey curious though.

:( I should have been braver. I mean north is up on the map.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2022, 01:32:16 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2022, 01:19:44 PM

:( I should have been braver. I mean north is up on the map.

Tamas is never going to live that down

Tamas

Solmyr