Main Menu

UFOs are real and they're spectacular

Started by FunkMonk, May 17, 2021, 06:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I got it. :thumbsup:

Latinx's 15 minutes might be over.

Jacob

The thing with Latinx et. al. is that it's pretty awkward to pronounce. It's fine for written discourse, but for spoken language I don't know. I don't speak Spanish (in spite of a few years of high school Spanish), but it seems to me that if you intend to make a change you'd be better off backing a different vowel.

Like, say, use -e to replace -o and -a. So "Latine" instead of "Latino" and "Latina". I count vouch for the beauty of it or the likelihood of uptake, but at least people would have an idea of how to pronounce it.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2021, 12:37:58 PM
Yeah, it was a play on changing "O" to "X" as neutral gender.

Oh I got why you said it, just seemed an odd place to randomly punch down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2021, 12:52:45 PM
The thing with Latinx et. al. is that it's pretty awkward to pronounce. It's fine for written discourse, but for spoken language I don't know. I don't speak Spanish (in spite of a few years of high school Spanish), but it seems to me that if you intend to make a change you'd be better off backing a different vowel.

Like, say, use -e to replace -o and -a. So "Latine" instead of "Latino" and "Latina". I count vouch for the beauty of it or the likelihood of uptake, but at least people would have an idea of how to pronounce it.

-e is indeed the option pushed over here.

Sheilbh

I believe latine is the gender neutral equivalent in Spanish.

I don't know if there are many et als on this though - I think -x is a suffix that signifies something in English. So we can say and know what is meant by Mx. It strikes me as an issue with Latinx if the only way to practically pronounce it is to treat it as an English word :lol:

And for what it's worth I believe there's been polling of the latino community in the US which has found that only 2-3% of people use it, less than a quarter know what it means and the preferred term is actually "hispanic".
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Wasn't Latrine a character in Top Secret?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 01:05:10 PM

I believe latine is the gender neutral equivalent in Spanish.

I don't know if there are many et als on this though - I think -x is a suffix that signifies something in English. So we can say and know what is meant by Mx. It strikes me as an issue with Latinx if the only way to practically pronounce it is to treat it as an English word :lol:

And for what it's worth I believe there's been polling of the latino community in the US which has found that only 2-3% of people use it, less than a quarter know what it means and the preferred term is actually "hispanic".

How about spelling it "latinx" and pronouncing it as "lateen eh"?  It wouldn't be the worst disconnect in English between spelling and pronunciation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

What are these mysterious vehicles that the government is reporting? Any one care to speculate wildly?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Razgovory

Probably a drone combined with a some sort of illusion that makes it look faster than it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Brain

Probably apes. Together they are strong.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: fromtia on May 18, 2021, 04:00:15 PM
Whose drones? Blofeldts? Dr.No?

Small commercial drones bought over the internet by space aliens who no longer put much effort into these sorts of things.  These days that don't even make elaborate disguises when they go outside.  They just put a mask on and nobody bats an eye.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: fromtia on May 18, 2021, 03:08:04 PM
What are these mysterious vehicles that the government is reporting? Any one care to speculate wildly?
Aliens.
Let's bomb Russia!