News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm watching on TSN sports (but I paid for a month's subscription to watch).

Agelastus

Quote from: Zoupa on July 07, 2021, 01:04:34 AM
The BBC commentators are incredibly biased when it England is playing, it's barely watchable as a neutral. ITV's been much better IMO.

You guys know which broadcast will show the game tomorrow?

ITV. The BBC had the England quarter final.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2021, 04:46:12 PM
Well... we were bound to run out of luck at some point, but I think we can be very proud of the team's performance in the tournament, if we were told before the start of the Euros that we'd reach the semis we'd have taken it blindly.
I could have written the exact same post, but about Italy.

Good game Spain, if only Olmo and Oyarzabal were only a bit real nueves the match would have gone in a completely different direction.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

I'll pray that Fati recovers from his knee issues and gives us more bite going forward. Otherwise, a very nice tournament for us.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2021, 04:43:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 06, 2021, 04:30:55 PM
Perfect outcome for England or Denmark really. All its missing is a gazza '90 moment.

Spain would have been an easier opponent for England I think.
Perhaps. But I was thinking more just on it being a tough game that went to penalties.
Hopefully if tonight is settled in normal time it can offset the extra day of rest factor a little.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Pedrito on July 07, 2021, 02:14:24 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2021, 04:46:12 PM
Well... we were bound to run out of luck at some point, but I think we can be very proud of the team's performance in the tournament, if we were told before the start of the Euros that we'd reach the semis we'd have taken it blindly.
I could have written the exact same post, but about Italy.

Good game Spain, if only Olmo and Oyarzabal were only a bit real nueves the match would have gone in a completely different direction.

L.

Thing is, neither of them are strikers, they're both wingers that can cut inside, so their lack of "clinicality" can be understandable to a point. Apparently the reasoning for benching Morata and starting three super mobile forwards (Olmo, Oyarzabal and Ferrán Torres) was making them move all over the front in order to stretch and make the Italian defence break. It was thought that starting Morata would play right into Chielini & Bonucci's gameplan, as they'd happily take him on time and time again, while the other guys would make them move much more putting their focus and cohesion in jeopardy. The lack of a pure striker after Villa and Torres retired has been Spain's weaker point for years already, for some reason we don't produce them that often.

In any case the results here bode well for Spain's chances in the World Cup and the coming years, as the squad is rather young, and even the veterans are not that old (Busquets is the oldest and is about to turn 33, and then it's Alba at 32), and new youngsters coming down the pipeline could join the team soon, mostly Ansu Fati when he recovers from his injury, he can be a key player for the future, although he's yet another winger that cuts inside rather than a striker.

The Larch

Btw, just saw that there's no game for the 3rd spot. Funny thing that...

clandestino

Quote from: The Larch on July 07, 2021, 03:44:50 AM

I think UEFA or FIFA (maybe both?) ditched the idea since it seems no one cared about it, not even the teams playing it. Good riddance!

The Larch

Quote from: clandestino on July 07, 2021, 03:49:14 AM

I think UEFA or FIFA (maybe both?) ditched the idea since it seems no one cared about it, not even the teams playing it. Good riddance!

It seems to not be a thing at the Euros, last time it was played was in 1980. Not at the World Cup, though, in which it is still always played.

celedhring

Good. Those games are always pointless.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on July 07, 2021, 01:04:34 AM
The BBC commentators are incredibly biased when it England is playing, it's barely watchable as a neutral. ITV's been much better IMO.
Agreed and I've seen a few pieces in the press about this here too. Lots of people saying ITV have been the better broadcaster this tournament - which is rare. Although there is the weird ITV curse - in tournament games England have won 70% that are broadcast on BBC, but only 17% of those on ITV :ph34r:

I don't necessarily mind the excitement - though I wish there was a more cold-water-pouring figure than Jurgen Klinsmann to go with Shearer and Ferdinand as pundits. I think ITV normally have at least one of Roy Keane or Graeme Souness. The thing that really annoys me is that the BBC almost stop covering other games. Like yesterday there was a really exciting game to discuss and they cut to a mini-interview with Luke Shaw (and I get it - they won't actually be covering the the England game). But it feels like ITV do that less - they're a bit better at discussing the actual game in front of them and the games in the rest of the tournament.

Also ITV have had Emma Hayes who has been excellent or Ally McCoist who is always a delight. We had Spain-Italy last night with Danny Murphy as co-commentator and he said it was the most he's enjoyed a game of football in years which you couldn't have guessed :lol: :bleeding:

QuoteBtw, just saw that there's no game for the 3rd spot. Funny thing that...
Also no golden glove in the Euros which I didn't know but feels a shame - I like things that recognise goalkeepers :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

The BBC commentators and co-commentators have been abysmal. Danny Murphy wasn't too bad yesterday but the likes of Robbie Savage and Chris Waddle make me want to turn the sound off. Agree Ally McCoist is great.

Josquius

During Switzerland-France my GF was pretty annoyed that the commentators seemed to be overly favouring France.
I guess this was due to France having a lot more familiar players about which the commentators knew things to say.

QuoteAlso no golden glove in the Euros which I didn't know but feels a shame - I like things that recognise goalkeepers :blush:

No third place I get. Who really pays attention to that? At the last WC I think everyone was just through and wanted to go home. Having two third places seems fine to me.
But no golden glove is bizzare.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2021, 08:28:30 AM
During Switzerland-France my GF was pretty annoyed that the commentators seemed to be overly favouring France.
I guess this was due to France having a lot more familiar players about which the commentators knew things to say.
Yeah - they were the favourites and had a lot more famous players and narrative I suppose? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

QuoteToday is the day.

Come on England! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 https://t.co/x4lhG92mrp
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1412684618143342595?s=19

BoJo given the #10 for tonight. Bold move by Southgate have to say.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.