News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which movie(s) do you remain "loyal" to?

Started by Oexmelin, April 26, 2021, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on April 27, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
Just watched Alien and Aliens, those are damn good movies. Even my wife, who hates sci-fi, sat quietly and seemed to like them. A shame that no-one ever made any sequels.

Also, the Thin Red Line is excellent.

Yeah.  The Terminator series ended after two movies, as well. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

You'd think more people would be down with APP.

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 27, 2021, 03:11:08 PM
The original or the remake?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 27, 2021, 03:11:08 PM

Someone should make an app for that.

FunkMonk

I still enjoy Breakfast at Tiffany's but holy hell is Mickey Rooney's role terrible.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 26, 2021, 06:05:46 PM
Recently someone posted a comedy video (which I had also seen on Twitter) about watching a favorite movie of one's teens and discovering its humor had aged... poorly.

National Lampoon's Animal House.

I will defend this movie for all time, but there are parts that have aged poorly.

Now it is set on a college campus in the early 60s so of course it is not integrated.  And the scene at the black bar is I think mostly making fun of the white kids being afraid of a bunch of black guys... but not entirely?

And it's kind of iffy in a couple of sex scenes when it comes to consent.  Pinto in one scene eventually decides not to have sex with the passed out girl in his room, but the movie sets this up as some kind of dilemma (and not to mention she's underage)?  Or Bluto carrying off Babs at the end against her will, only to see them smiling later?  Or lying to get dates?

And more meta - I think that movie genuinely had a negative impact on the whole greek movement in promoting a wild party atmosphere.  I mean my own fraternity still had toga parties 20 years after it's release.

But still - for its era I think it hold up better than many in terms of its humour (try comparing the issues of consent in Revenge of the Nerds just a few years later) - and it's still a darn funny movie.

p.s. Wrath of Khan is eminently watchable today. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Threviel

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
I am not very woke, to say the least

This feels a little like when men and women used to breezily say they weren't feminists...although I suppose in some wide circles that is still the case. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2021, 10:57:31 PM
Now it is set on a college campus in the early 60s so of course it is not integrated.  And the scene at the black bar is I think mostly making fun of the white kids being afraid of a bunch of black guys... but not entirely?

I was on a ski trip in college that involved a bunch of people I didn't know personally. When that film was put on, there was one white girl who got very excited during that scene even to the point of shouting out the n-word.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I watched Wrath of Khan a few months ago. It looks dated and the acting is over the top (it's very much Shatner Trek). Actually, I found Montalbán really distracting. :ph34r:

But it's still a fun adventure romp, very classically made. The ship battle scenes are styled more like age of sail battles in space, rather than the WWII stuff that Star Wars made popular, which makes them very refreshing - the one in the static storm nebula is awesome. The whole thing feels like Patrick O'Brian in space and I love it.

I fondly remember when Spanish TV did a Trek marathon when I was a kid. Wrath-Search of Spock was one for my favorite double headers.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2021, 07:48:22 PM
Maybe it was cut for viewing on TV?
Only if she was bare-breasted.  Seeing titties as a teen can traumatize you for years after where as dismenbering people and having blood everywhere is totally fine.;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

But the decapitation isn't real...those titties are!

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 29, 2021, 01:43:00 PM
But the decapitation isn't real...those titties are!
Define "real" when it comes to implants :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2021, 07:14:01 PM
... 'The Mission', that Klaus Kinski film set in S.Americ.a.

You mean Aguirre, Wrath of God. It's still great.

Mission has DeNiro. I suspect it is still great, but have not watched in years.
humans were created in their own image