Which movie(s) do you remain "loyal" to?

Started by Oexmelin, April 26, 2021, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2021, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2021, 07:01:43 PM
Oh yeah Kevin Smith films. Yeeesh.

What do people think of The Usual Suspects? I love noire so it had a special place in my heart the moment I saw it. Is it a little too 90s? I am too biased with love to tell.

I despise it with the intensity of a thousand exploding supernovas.  It's a two hour long troll of the audience.  "We built up the suspense so you would be on the edge of your seat waiting for the big reveal, and the big reveal is that the story never happened. Ha ha ha.  Jokes on you."

Fuck them.

Spoilers, dude!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2021, 07:51:26 PM
I despise it with the intensity of a thousand exploding supernovas.  It's a two hour long troll of the audience.  "We built up the suspense so you would be on the edge of your seat waiting for the big reveal, and the big reveal is that the story never happened. Ha ha ha.  Jokes on you."

Fuck them.

It couldn't of been completely made up since the detective had facts available that were external to the storyteller.  So healthy chunks of the story had to be true, but in particular the names and likely a few details were made up to make it difficult to trace the antagonist down.

PDH

I saw this one movie once where Wyoming had a nationally ranked football team, but like a lot of movies from the 1960s it didn't age well.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on April 26, 2021, 08:18:29 PM
It couldn't of been completely made up since the detective had facts available that were external to the storyteller.  So healthy chunks of the story had to be true, but in particular the names and likely a few details were made up to make it difficult to trace the antagonist down.

Sure, spoilers.

There are next to no scenes we see the detective actually observing things unfold.  Maybe the original arrest of Gabriel Byrne scene?  We are given clues to things that must be false, like the bottom of the coffee mug but we can't infer from that that the events we are not tipped off about are true.  And the ending scene establishes that more or less everything has been told as a flashback during the interrogation.

Infuriating.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2021, 08:40:14 PM
Quote from: frunk on April 26, 2021, 08:18:29 PM

Sure, spoilers.

There are next to no scenes we see the detective actually observing things unfold.  Maybe the original arrest of Gabriel Byrne scene?  We are given clues to things that must be false, like the bottom of the coffee mug but we can't infer from that that the events we are not tipped off about are true.  And the ending scene establishes that more or less everything has been told as a flashback during the interrogation.

Infuriating.

[spoiler]There's the NY Taxi Service heist, Byrne and the other criminals from the NY lineup going to California and getting killed on the boat, the gangsters on the boat with someone who can identify Spacey (who ends up in the hospital), Byrne's lawyer girlfriend that ends up killed and represented the identifier.

So at a minimum you definitely know that there were ties between Spacey and Byrne, and that 5 criminals in the same lineup in NY ended up dead on a boat in CA.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Well it has been a long time since I've seen it.

And it won't be hard to believe I've never rewatched it.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2021, 06:36:36 PM
Another Bram Stoker's Dracula fan over here.  :ph34r:

One of the winning things it has, at least for me, is how everyone on it is totally comitted to their part. Nobody half-arses it, everyone chews the scenary when it's their turn. And it's a gorgeous film to watch, even after so many years. The effects are very endearing, and the costumes are magnificent.

It's also one of the more faithful adaptations of the source material.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I have a funny relationship with Dracula. Utterly loved it when it came out, but then I grew up went to film school and I kinda disowned it for being well, absurdly cheesy and silly. Then I embraced it back on my 30s. It's just too damn enjoyable.

But Usual Suspects would definitely be my #1 on this kind of list. It was my favorite movie of all time when it came out, and every time I watch it (did it a couple months ago) I'm fully aware the whole thing is a pretty box full of nothing but I can't fail to be completely enthralled by it.

Another one is JFK. The whole thing is a conspiracy theorist fantasy, but it's so thrilling and well-edited. I get sucked in every damn time.

#3 would be Romeo+Juliet  :ph34r:

And I feel the geeks of my generation need to have a discussion about Starship Troopers, but we never will because it's also so damn cheesily enjoyable.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2021, 12:25:38 AM
#3 would be Romeo+Juliet  :ph34r:

I should rewatch Tromeo + Juliet to see how it holds up these days. Then again it's a James Gunn/Troma movie. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Indy and Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, maybe Batman(haven't seen in a while)

As some of you may remember, I used Roger Rabbit as an avatar for several years. Then, I made the mistake of watching it again.  :lol:

Oh, and Princess Bride. Maybe the best kids' movie ever. :thumbsup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Ah yes, Temple of Doom definitely belongs on that list. :lol: - I adore that film, but it certainly had loads of already effy stuff when it came out, and some of it has aged poorly (Capshaw's character sticks out like a supersore thumb in this day and age)

I'd say Raiders and Crusade still hold up, though? I watched them a couple years ago. Raiders has some slow bits, maybe.

As for Star Wars... yeah, 4 it is rather slow if you watch it today. ROTJ was already flawed in 1983... But ESB I watched a few weeks ago and it's still perfect.

The Brain

Bram Stoker's Dracula is awesome. Didn't care for Usual Suspects.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2021, 07:48:22 PM
A movie I should not have watched again is Fail Safe.  In the opening sequence Matthau's character strikes a woman in her face.  She just put up with it as if it was the done thing.  It was casual violence that had nothing to do with the plot.  Watching it on TV as an early teen it did not register.  Maybe it was cut for viewing on TV?  But wow, just wow.  How that that make it on to film?

I thought it was a part of cementing Matthau's character as a complete and total amoral bastard. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2021, 01:43:05 AM
Ah yes, Temple of Doom definitely belongs on that list. :lol: - I adore that film, but it certainly had loads of already effy stuff when it came out, and some of it has aged poorly (Capshaw's character sticks out like a supersore thumb in this day and age)

I'd say Raiders and Crusade still hold up, though? I watched them a couple years ago. Raiders has some slow bits, maybe.

As for Star Wars... yeah, 4 it is rather slow if you watch it today. ROTJ was already flawed in 1983... But ESB I watched a few weeks ago and it's still perfect.

Hmm, I didn't consider that stipulation. I don't generally rate movies I enjoy as bad.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?