Which movie(s) do you remain "loyal" to?

Started by Oexmelin, April 26, 2021, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Inspired by the movie off-topic thread and its Oscar discussion, as well as a recent discussion I had with a friend about her changing opinion of Chris Nolan's movies. 

Recently someone posted a comedy video (which I had also seen on Twitter) about watching a favorite movie of one's teens and discovering its humor had aged... poorly.

I definitely had the experience of seeing a movie I used to love and realizing later how terrible it was. Sometimes, it's enough to put me off of that movie - to sour the experience, so to speak. I remember having loved Dead Poet Society when it came out, and watching it again years later, and finding it unbearably cheesy. (Probably due my youthful idealism having been somewhat chipped away). I have little desire to see that movie again.

But sometimes, you rewatch a movie, realize the horrible amount of cheese, or the terrible gender politics, or how poorly it is shot... and yet can't help liking the movie still. To keep within the same time frame - about the same time as Dead Poet Society, I also really liked Coppola's Dracula... and needless to say, that movie is... flawed. And yet, I don't know what it is, but Dracula brings me back to my younger self's enjoyment, whereas Dead Poet Society doesn't.

(I am not really talking about ageing special effects / CGI... though I guess it may make some movies that purported to be scary become really camp).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

As Samuel Johnson once said - the man who is tired of Gary Cooper's turn in Dracula is tired of life. I also find Keanu Reeves at his most wooden weirdly winning.

Good topic. I'll need to think
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Loyalty (I think maybe nostalgia is what you're getting at) and enjoyment are two distinct things.  I loved Wrath of Khan when it came out but it's unwatchable now.  I'm not going to force myself to watch a movie again just because I was attached to it earlier.

On the other hand movies that you feel nostalgic about *and* still enjoy watching are some of the greatest things in the world.  Like books you can reread many times.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2021, 06:15:24 PM
Loyalty (I think maybe nostalgia is what you're getting at)

No, it's not really nostalgia. I am nostalgic for Dead Poet Society - I remember fondly I felt watching the movie then, and that version of Dead Poet Society is still lovely in my mind. But the second viewing was way more irritating.

I am more interested in movies where you kinda feel the "ickiness", but it can't really triumph over your enjoyment. This is why I gestured more towards plot, or politics, or something else. I feel I can forgive wooden, or exagerated acting more because of context - but that may be only me.

And yes, the premise of the post only works if you are the sort of person who enjoys rewatching movies. 

Oexmelin

The Larch

Another Bram Stoker's Dracula fan over here.  :ph34r:

One of the winning things it has, at least for me, is how everyone on it is totally comitted to their part. Nobody half-arses it, everyone chews the scenary when it's their turn. And it's a gorgeous film to watch, even after so many years. The effects are very endearing, and the costumes are magnificent.

frunk

Kevin Smith films are the first ones I think of here.  I still like Clerks and Dogma, although my feelings have cooled over time.  OTOH Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back have aged pretty badly for me.  I never liked Chasing Amy, and am still puzzled by the positive critical reception for it.

Valmy

Oh yeah Kevin Smith films. Yeeesh.

What do people think of The Usual Suspects? I love noire so it had a special place in my heart the moment I saw it. Is it a little too 90s? I am too biased with love to tell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Hard to say as I intentional don't re-watch films I really loved first time around, unless there's a special reason or people to watch with/again.

'Apocalypse Now' might fit the premise for me and I've only seen it once in the cinema and once on DVD.

I think the 1980's 'The Thing' still works well, great film in the cinema and still fun to watch again, which I've now done a couple of times.

Also I feel historical films don't so easily get caught up with the emotions/naivety of one's earlier self, so films like 'The Great Escape' is easy to re-watch and enjoy again.

Films I've only watch when they originally came out and I feel I could envoy similarly again, might include 'The Mission', that Klaus Kinski film set in S.America. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: frunk on April 26, 2021, 06:38:23 PM
Kevin Smith films are the first ones I think of here.  I still like Clerks and Dogma, although my feelings have cooled over time.  OTOH Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back have aged pretty badly for me.  I never liked Chasing Amy, and am still puzzled by the positive critical reception for it.

There was some enjoyment for me in most of those, but as you suggest several have aged badly, though I think 'Dogma' would probably hold up on a third viewing for me.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2021, 07:01:43 PM
What do people think of The Usual Suspects? I love noire so it had a special place in my heart the moment I saw it. Is it a little too 90s? I am too biased with love to tell.

Loved the movie when it came out, but have no interest in re-watching it.  Same with just about every Tarantino movie.

As for misplaced loyalty, I'd definitely include a couple of Kevin Kline movies:  Dave and The Big Chill.  Neither are great shakes as movies, but I still get a similar joy from them as I did the first time I saw them.

I'm not sure whether my loyalty to They Might Be Giants is misplaced or not. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

A movie I should not have watched again is Fail Safe.  In the opening sequence Matthau's character strikes a woman in her face.  She just put up with it as if it was the done thing.  It was casual violence that had nothing to do with the plot.  Watching it on TV as an early teen it did not register.  Maybe it was cut for viewing on TV?  But wow, just wow.  How that that make it on to film?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2021, 07:01:43 PM
Oh yeah Kevin Smith films. Yeeesh.

I despise it with the intensity of a thousand exploding supernovas.  It's a two hour long troll of the audience.  "We built up the suspense so you would be on the edge of your seat waiting for the big reveal, and the big reveal is that the story never happened. Ha ha ha.  Jokes on you."

Fuck them.

Valmy

Yi and I should never go to the movies together. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."