German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on September 26, 2021, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 26, 2021, 12:18:07 PM
Looks like the Danish minority party won a seat.  :lol:

Aren't they guaranteed a certain bit of representation?

Not sure how it works for the federal parliament, but in Schleswig-Holstein they're exempt from the rule that you need 5% of votes to get into parliament.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Syt on September 26, 2021, 12:25:00 PM
Laschet says he's not happy but aims at forming a government. It's the worst result for the CDU ever.

If Laschet had any decency, he would take personal responsibility for the CDU's poor performance. When he took over, the CDU was by far the strongest party. Then Laschet completely botched it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And it seems like Maaßen is not making it via direct vote. Despite the extreme right endorsing him, AfD doesn't seem to lose votes to him, and CDU moved to SPD, while Linke voters apparently decided to vote tactically SPD to avoid Maaßen getting the direct seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Georg_Maa%C3%9Fen
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Laschet says he's not happy but aims at forming a government. It's the worst result for the CDU ever.
And, despite the possibility of them forming a government, second worst for the SPD. The two big parties down to 50% by the looks of it.

I still suspect the Greens will emerge as a third force at some point. But it's pretty striking for now that we're possible in the in-between stage.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Meanwhile, state elections in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern:

And Berlin:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Hehe, I actually wanted to quote you as Sheilbh posted in between.

To make sure that it is understandable that I think Maaßen ist 1 Pimmel

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malicious Intent on September 26, 2021, 12:39:23 PM

If Laschet had any decency, he would take personal responsibility for the CDU's poor performance. When he took over, the CDU was by far the strongest party. Then Laschet completely botched it.

Even Söder would have done better.

Zanza

A good result is that both extremes, the Left Party and the AfD lost votes. Too bad that AfD is still in the double digits.

Syt

There's been various elections in Austria, too. No big surprises, except that the mayor of Graz (3rd biggest city in Austria) might be a communist (pending coalition talks). :lol:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Also wonder if in the future - the way that the FDP were the coalition partner in almost every government until Schroeder's - you'll get the Greens and the FDP agreeing what they want out of coalition negotiations first and then they go to the CDU and SPD to see who'll give it to them? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

There is currently a live TV show with basically the persons in this thread's poll and it is clear that Baerbock and Lindner know that they are the kingmakers.

Zanza

It's interesting that Greens and FDP seem totally sure that they will form the government with one of the bigger parties.

Another possibility...