German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Sheilbh

Interesting - what happened to the AfD vote:

The Greens:

The FDP:

And the CDU:

Absolutely love the 60,000 AfD-Green swing voters. It reminds me of the (genuine) phenomenon of UKIP-Lib Dem swing voters :lol: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

100.000 persons switched from the Left to the FDP. Amazing. :huh:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on September 26, 2021, 02:59:39 PM
100.000 persons switched from the Left to the FDP. Amazing. :huh:
I love them - voters who exist to confound political science and pollsters :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2021, 12:19:22 PM
Exciting - really don't want the FDP near government but seems inevitable.

Your visceral hatred of centrist parties is weird.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2021, 03:39:53 PMYour visceral hatred of centrist parties is weird.
I don't think the FDP are that centrist.

The reason I don't want them near government is that I think they'd want the Finance Ministry and I think Christian Lindner in the Finance Ministry would be a catastrophe for Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2021, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2021, 03:39:53 PMYour visceral hatred of centrist parties is weird.
I don't think the FDP are that centrist.

The reason I don't want them near government is that I think they'd want the Finance Ministry and I think Christian Lindner in the Finance Ministry would be a catastrophe for Europe.

So centrist à la Macron or "populist" (sic) à la Macron?  :P

Sheilbh

Re. Graz. I am a massive fan of the Communists' campaign material/design and can confirm this would be sufficient to win my vote:

Edit: Also looks like referendum in Berlin won - interesting to see the fallout now :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2021, 04:49:44 PM
Edit: Also looks like referendum in Berlin won - interesting to see the fallout now :hmm:

My God. The Communists have won Berlin after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2021, 05:54:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2021, 04:49:44 PM

My God. The Communists have won Berlin after all.

I thought the referendum on rents and nationalisation of private real estates companies was only indicative?
As in the Brexit referendum, but Germany does have a written constitution, unlike the UK, doesn't it?  :P
Plus no nationalisation without due compensation, so that's a significant hurdle.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on September 26, 2021, 01:11:17 AM
Amthor is the oldest 20-something in the world and a poster child for the phrase "punchable face". He was paid by a shady company to lobby the economy minister but denied this until he could noonger deny it. Recently he lobbied on behalf of Tiktok of all things, which is just weird.  :wacko:

What we call a Backpfeifengesicht in German:

Wow.  I never really got the "punchable face" meme until I saw his picture.  That should be in the dictionary as an example.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

There seem to be three - on paper - feasible coalitions:
- SPD/FDP/Greens
- CDU/FDP/Greens
- CDU/SPD

Linke don't seem to have won enough seats for a theoretical SPD/Greens/Linke coalition. And while AfD won enough sears to enable a coalition, no one wants them in government.

CDU and SPD are unlikely to want to continue their coalition at this point. FDP have said they want to hold preliminary talks with the Greens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

My German exchange student has been quite interested in the results, and telling me a bit.  I've had to break it to him that while I'm no expert, I do know what the major parties are.  He's a Green supporter, but has been quite diplomatic when he learned my politics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.