Cancel Culture Conversation Not Cancelled

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, April 04, 2021, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on April 04, 2021, 07:23:29 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 03, 2021, 06:04:25 AMThe idea of Chinese rising up to demand democracy once they have become middle class has not really been tested.  But so far that theory doesn't really hold up.  Tiananmen was crushed rather easily.

Yeah and I'm not sure any Western coalition would win in some generational ideological struggle against China. For one, the chamber of commerce Right in most Western countries would be adamantly against it. Imagine the Cold War against the Soviets with big business interests firmly on the Soviet side. :hmm:

not only the businesses, but many of the people too. Both on the left and right authoritarian tendencies have gained massive strenght. Cancelling is in, civil discussion is out.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2021, 03:06:33 AM
You guys should take it easy on Mono. It can be very dangerous for him to hint he might not agree with the regime. In some database somewhere a record is being made of his Internet activity, and it can be looked at whenever somebody important enough wants to give his job to somebody else.

When he claims he wants more Trumps elected President he gies too far though!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2021, 12:57:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 03, 2021, 06:04:25 AMThe idea of Chinese rising up to demand democracy once they have become middle class has not really been tested.  But so far that theory doesn't really hold up.  Tiananmen was crushed rather easily.

Yeah and I'm not sure any Western coalition would win in some generational ideological struggle against China. For one, the chamber of commerce Right in most Western countries would be adamantly against it. Imagine the Cold War against the Soviets with big business interests firmly on the Soviet side. :hmm:

not only the businesses, but many of the people too. Both on the left and right authoritarian tendencies have gained massive strenght. Cancelling is in, civil discussion is out.

I will never cancel you CI.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2021, 12:57:19 PM

"Cancel culture" is just a ridiculous smear of the long accepted art of the boycott. MLK and the civil rights leaders of the 60s were all about canceling politicians, businesses and organizations that were on the other side and they were right to do so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2021, 10:10:19 PM
"Cancel culture" is just a ridiculous smear of the long accepted art of the boycott. MLK and the civil rights leaders of the 60s were all about canceling politicians, businesses and organizations that were on the other side and they were right to do so.

Hey I recognize plenty of "canceling" is done for admirable and principled purposes and against powerful targets that need pressuring, but it sure gets leveled at ordinary people for very petty reasons a lot. But hey small communities have been shunning people for petty reasons forever, no reason people on the internet would be different I guess. Canceling politicians, businesses, and organizations is one thing but taking one ordinary person's twitter post from ten years ago and using that to get them fired is something else.

DGuller

I think when people refer to cancel culture, they usually refer to individuals who are not public figures suffering the wrath of Twitter.  There is nothing admirable about it.  It's the worst kind of behavior humanity has to offer, and the fact that it's dressed up as a noble act in defense of justice just adds insult on top of injury.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Cancelling worked well for South Africa.
Less well for 1930s Germany.
Depends who is doing the cancelling really.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2021, 11:10:05 PM
I think when people refer to cancel culture, they usually refer to individuals who are not public figures suffering the wrath of Twitter.  There is nothing admirable about it.  It's the worst kind of behavior humanity has to offer, and the fact that it's dressed up as a noble act in defense of justice just adds insult on top of injury.

We've been ostracizing people for petty things since civilization began. it's a just a bit easier now :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Not to mention we canceled plenty of people on this board in the day, most notably Martinus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on April 05, 2021, 08:25:53 AM
We've been ostracizing people for petty things since civilization began. it's a just a bit easier now :D
Exactly, it makes it much easier to do nasty things to people when you don't have to look them in the face, or if you don't even know them well enough to think of them as a human being.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2021, 08:37:15 AM
Not to mention we canceled plenty of people on this board in the day, most notably Martinus.
We excluded him from our club.  We did not try to get him fired, or in general destroy every part of his life.  I wonder if people are trying to minimize what "canceling" means to avoid thinking about what it really means for people on the receiving end of their righteous indignation.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2021, 08:37:15 AM

He canceled himself. had plenty of chances.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

We didn't harass him or get him fired though.

It's too bad he isn't here, I wanted to give him shit for Milo becoming ex-gay.

Jacob

Was Milo Yianopolous a victim of cancel culture?