Cancel Culture Conversation Not Cancelled

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, April 04, 2021, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2021, 09:47:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 06, 2021, 09:39:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2021, 08:12:06 AM
In Hungary an ex-footballer now football commentator tweeted in support of gay adoption rights  (the government was doing a whole "family is a man and a woman" thing so a counter "family is family" thing was started by some people, which this commentator supported). So he got fired by the Fidesz oligarch-owned station he worked at. Well, this wasn't the official reason, but even pro-government pundits agreed yes it was the reason.

That was Péter Gulásci, right?

No but yes, he also made pro-not being a fascist comments, that's true. He is not a commentator though and don't have his livelihood depend on Orban's good graces.

So what was the name of the first one? Footy sides around here only seem to mention Péter Gulásci.

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 06, 2021, 09:54:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2021, 09:47:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 06, 2021, 09:39:52 AM
In Hungary an ex-footballer now football commentator tweeted in support of gay adoption rights  (the government was doing a whole "family is a man and a woman" thing so a counter "family is family" thing was started by some people, which this commentator supported). So he got fired by the Fidesz oligarch-owned station he worked at. Well, this wasn't the official reason, but even pro-government pundits agreed yes it was the reason.

That was Péter Gulásci, right?

No but yes, he also made pro-not being a fascist comments, that's true. He is not a commentator though and don't have his livelihood depend on Orban's good graces.

So what was the name of the first one? Footy sides around here only seem to mention Péter Gulásci.

Ah yes because the goalkeeper coach guy was reacting to Gulacsi's comments, my mistake.

The anti-fascist commentator who got fired by the oligarch TV was Janos Hrutka.

Duque de Bragança

Tamas

Then the Hungarian-nationality goalkeeper coach of Hertha Berlin had an interview in a pro-government newspaper basically outlining how the above guy was wrong and how this whole diversity thing is bad.

So Hertha has fired him.

Very rightly, the anti-fascist footballer and the organisation behind the "family is family" anti-fascist slogan both denounced Hertha's decision to fire the goalkeeper coach for expressing his opinion.

DGuller

Hopefully this state of affairs will make libertarians catch up to the fact that effective freedom means protection of individuals from all entities that hold power over them, not just from the government.  I may even call myself a libertarian if they collectively reach that breakthrough.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2021, 08:23:52 AM
Hopefully this state of affairs will make libertarians catch up to the fact that effective freedom means protection of individuals from all entities that hold power over them, not just from the government.  I may even call myself a libertarian if they collectively reach that breakthrough.
Yeah - I mean one reading of all this is that conservatives in the US spent years pushing for the rights of corporations and entities to "political speech" and are now horrified to find that the consequence of that is not just to make politics more shaped to corporate interests/needs but to make corporate decisions more shaped by politics.

That combined with the American right deciding that rather than make any compromises that would enable it to become a majority conservative party (as was talked about in the 2000s, as the CDU normally are in Germany, or the Tories in Britain, or the LDP in Japan), they would rather stay a minority that makes no changes and really leans into the minoritarian aspects of the US constitution. The problem is in terms of market or consumer power you're chasing the majority - so if there's a similar proportion of hyper-engaged individuals on either side you'd probably ignore the GOP side because it'll be smaller.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I'm happy that today, corporations seem to be aligned with the good guys, but I'm still very uncomfortable that they have such a role to play.  I have some recourse against being punished by the government, but I have no recourse against corporations all collectively making decisions that make their potential problems go away.