News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Given that you have a law degree, if you joined the Peace Corps they'd probably put you to work teaching at a university somewhere or running (de facto, at least) some sort of human rights NGO.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

HisMajestyBOB

For the actual teaching part, it involves pictures, videos, speaking slowly, using simple words and explaining things in words they already know. Plus correcting their usage and pronunciation, and answering your coteachers' questions on obscure points of English grammar (hint: just make something up)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 06, 2011, 09:41:32 PM
You get involved with a sketchy private TEFL agency, a sketchy foreign government-run TEFL program (see above), or a (generally..) reputable U.S. federal agency.

Jet isn`t sketchy.
I think Korea has a non-sketchy one too.
Amusing to see Georgia has one though. It would be rather cool to do such a thing outside of East Asia. But in a war zone?...hmm....The pay sucks too.

And Ide, I certainly recommend applying to jet or the korean one whose name escapes me, just in case your job situation doesn`t pick up over the next year- hope it does but always prepare for the worst.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2011, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 06, 2011, 09:41:32 PM
You get involved with a sketchy private TEFL agency, a sketchy foreign government-run TEFL program (see above), or a (generally..) reputable U.S. federal agency.

Jet isn`t sketchy.
I think Korea has a non-sketchy one too.
Amusing to see Georgia has one though. It would be rather cool to do such a thing outside of East Asia. But in a war zone?...hmm....The pay sucks too.

And Ide, I certainly recommend applying to jet or the korean one whose name escapes me, just in case your job situation doesn`t pick up over the next year- hope it does but always prepare for the worst.

Korea has EPIK, which is what I did for 2 years, and I think Tim did that too (but not positive).
Korea, as well as China and probably Japan, have a lot of language institutes. In Korea they're called hagwons. Basically it's teaching kids after school and on weekends. Better pay, but riskier and odd hours.

I can elaborate on any if anyone wants.

Josquius

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 07, 2011, 12:05:28 AM
Korea has EPIK, which is what I did for 2 years, and I think Tim did that too (but not positive).
Korea, as well as China and probably Japan, have a lot of language institutes. In Korea they're called hagwons. Basically it's teaching kids after school and on weekends. Better pay, but riskier and odd hours.

Better pay? Really?
Wow, the Japanese version, Eikawas (IIRC) are considered the lowest of the low. Really bad pay and lame all round. Best is Jet and direct hires- though direct hires normally require one to have a fair few years experience first.
Dispatch companies....are dubious at best. Some more than others.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2011, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 07, 2011, 12:05:28 AM

Better pay? Really?
Wow, the Japanese version, Eikawas (IIRC) are considered the lowest of the low. Really bad pay and lame all round. Best is Jet and direct hires- though direct hires normally require one to have a fair few years experience first.
Dispatch companies....are dubious at best. Some more than others.

Yup, Hagwons pay better than the schools, generally. Some are scum that will rip you off and won't pay though. Not all.

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 06, 2011, 10:08:43 PM
For the actual teaching part, it involves pictures, videos, speaking slowly, using simple words and explaining things in words they already know. Plus correcting their usage and pronunciation, and answering your coteachers' questions on obscure points of English grammar (hint: just make something up)
:lol:

I actually do know some obscure English grammar, e.g. the difference between "you" and "thou" and correct use of "whom."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on October 07, 2011, 10:23:45 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 06, 2011, 10:08:43 PM
:lol:

I actually do know some obscure English grammar, e.g. the difference between "you" and "thou" and correct use of "whom."

You'll learn pretty quickly once you start teaching it. And odds are the local English teachers will know many more of the fine points, but you'll know which "sounds" better.

Grinning_Colossus

Unless they insist that they're right because you're using the idiosyncratic American variant instead of the proper British version (which was, most recently, "willn't").
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 07, 2011, 10:57:13 AM
Unless they insist that they're right because you're using the idiosyncratic American variant instead of the proper British version (which was, most recently, "willn't").
They want the American variant.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 07, 2011, 10:57:13 AM

No way.  I never heard that on Red Dwarf.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2011, 03:10:49 PM
Abu Dhabi  :hmm:

Good pay but you have to live in an oppressive dictatorship.
OTOH, I'll be working in an oppressive dictatorship for little pay.  :lol:
Is booze readily available for foreigners there? Its all that would get me through a year in that hot dusty desert.