News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Ahh, the old southern search for poon.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 02:43:02 PM
I had him in mind... he COULD have circumnavigated the world, easily, and may well have done so had not the Emperor decided exploration was a total waste of time and ended Zheng He's expeditions.

Just one nitpick - the emperor did not stop *him*.  He died on his last voyage.  Afterwards, the emperor said he would not sponsor any more voyages. 

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 08, 2009, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 02:43:02 PM
I had him in mind... he COULD have circumnavigated the world, easily, and may well have done so had not the Emperor decided exploration was a total waste of time and ended Zheng He's expeditions.

Just one nitpick - the emperor did not stop *him*.  He died on his last voyage.  Afterwards, the emperor said he would not sponsor any more voyages.

Different Emperor wasn't it? The one who supported Zheng He died, and his successor thought it was a waste of time and money to carry on, or so I recall.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:56:59 PM

Different Emperor wasn't it? The one who supported Zheng He died, and his successor thought it was a waste of time and money to carry on, or so I recall.

Zheng He had 7 voyages.  The first 6 were supported by the third Ming emperor.  The 4th emperor died after ruling for like a few months.  The 5th emperor sponsored the 7th voyage, and it was on this voyage that Zheng He died.  Afterwards the emperor said no more voyages.

Caliga

yeah, Mono is right.  :blush:

Other fun facts about Zheng He:

* He was a Muslim.
* His balls were cut off (i.e. court eunuch).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 08:37:48 PM
yeah, Mono is right.  :blush:

Other fun facts about Zheng He:

* He was a Muslim.
* His balls were cut off (i.e. court eunuch).

Well, that explains why he'd be willing to go away on long ocean voyages. No drinking and no sex would make for pretty boring court life.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2009, 08:40:58 PM
Well, that explains why he'd be willing to go away on long ocean voyages. No drinking and no sex would make for pretty boring court life.
No one said anything about no sex.... :subserviant homo:
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

So Tim, have you gotten hammered with your coteachers yet? :cheers:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

What about the legendary nightly Korean booze fests?  Fact or fiction?

In Nanjing, othern than perhaps a small coterie of die-hard alcoholphiles, drinking culture is not very strong, especially among the women.

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 20, 2009, 10:59:49 PM

In Nanjing, othern than perhaps a small coterie of die-hard alcoholphiles, drinking culture is not very strong, especially among the women.

The general Chinese population don't drink too much, especially when compared with westerners. 

But the drinking culture is very strong among officials and business leaders.  Whenever I meet mainland officials they want to drink until they drop.  And they want to drag me with them.  The trick is to hold the line and refuse to drink any. 

HisMajestyBOB

jimmy olsen

Not that bad from what I've seen. When they do drink they drink it fast. I had nine shots of soju or whatever it's called in two hours. It's not that strong, but if you drink it that fast it doesn't have to be. Still I haven't been hung over or anything.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 20, 2009, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2009, 10:47:28 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 09, 2009, 08:55:35 AM
So Tim, have you gotten hammered with your coteachers yet? :cheers:

Yes.

Did you sing at the noraebang afterwards?

No.

I went to Suwon last Friday, that was pretty good. Where are you living? I'm in Namyang-do, Hwaseong-si.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2009, 11:18:41 PM

Not that bad from what I've seen. When they do drink they drink it fast. I had nine shots of soju or whatever it's called in two hours. It's not that strong, but if you drink it that fast it doesn't have to be. Still I haven't been hung over or anything.

Not that strong? It's like 20% alcohol! :blink:
I think the last time I had 9 shots I was completely wasted and hung over the next morning. Fortunately this wasn't with my school teachers. Obviously you've got better capacity for alcohol than I do. You alkie.  :P

QuoteI went to Suwon last Friday, that was pretty good. Where are you living? I'm in Namyang-do, Hwaseong-si.

I live in Seogu distict of Incheon. Not much here, so I typically go to Seoul on weekends.