COVID vaccinations! Have you gotten yours?

Started by merithyn, March 08, 2021, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

ROTW: Yes!
17 (39.5%)
ROTW: Not yet
1 (2.3%)
ROTW: Not destroying my godlike temple of a body with that bullshit
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Yes!
24 (55.8%)
US/Canada: Not yet
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Get that poison out of here, you commie bastard
0 (0%)
I am Jaron, and I am immune to your puny pandemics
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Berkut

For the record, I think Newsradio was fucking brilliant. But he was far from the best thing about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I like MMA Joe Rogan but his comedian podcast shtick increases/accelerates the lost of trust in experts and institutions. He's really bad news.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2021, 10:14:16 AM
Best protection, at least from what I heard on a podcast is, in order:

1. mRNA vaccine + survived COVID
2. mrNA vaccine alone
3. Survive COVID, no vaccine
4. non-mRNA vaccine + COVID
5. non-mRNA vaccine

edit: Disclaimer! This is just what I heard on a podcast. Im not a doctor. If this turns out to be wrong someday, then so be it.

Or alternatively 'we' could have a better, more equitable world wide distribution of vaccines that would cut down on new variants and protect 'us' all better in the long run?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2021, 12:22:52 PM

2. mrNA vaccine alone
5. non-mRNA vaccine

edit: Disclaimer! This is just what I heard on a podcast. Im not a doctor. If this turns out to be wrong someday, then so be it.

Or alternatively 'we' could have a better, more equitable world wide distribution of vaccines that would cut down on new variants and protect 'us' all better in the long run?

Irrelevant aside although more on topic than you usually are. What did you do with Mongers?! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2021, 12:22:52 PM

2. mrNA vaccine alone
5. non-mRNA vaccine

That is an alternative?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2021, 11:16:29 AM
Fuck no.

How did they explain that getting COVID is more protection than getting COVID and being vaccinated with a non mRNA vaccine.  That seems a bit suspect.

edit: a story came out yesterday questioning the effectiveness of one of the mRNA vaccines, so that show is seems out of date already - even if it was valid at one time.

Doh, that is right - obviously having any vaccine plus getting COVID has to be, at worst, at least as good as just having COVID, and almost certainly better. I mixed the order up there.

What story are you talking about? The mRNA spike vaccines are still, so far as I am aware, the "gold standard" for COVID vaccines....

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2021, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2021, 11:16:29 AM
Fuck no.

How did they explain that getting COVID is more protection than getting COVID and being vaccinated with a non mRNA vaccine.  That seems a bit suspect.

edit: a story came out yesterday questioning the effectiveness of one of the mRNA vaccines, so that show is seems out of date already - even if it was valid at one time.

Doh, that is right - obviously having any vaccine plus getting COVID has to be, at worst, at least as good as just having COVID, and almost certainly better. I mixed the order up there.

What story are you talking about? The mRNA spike vaccines are still, so far as I am aware, the "gold standard" for COVID vaccines....

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/15/1064202754/omicron-evades-moderna-vaccine-too-study-suggests-but-boosters-help

mNRA is certainly the gold standard for what came before, but this new variant is causing all kinds of trouble.

garbon

So still the gold standard but you need a booster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2021, 11:46:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2021, 11:41:51 AM
I doubt I'll get a 3rd dose personally. By the time my age groups gets called up here it'll be too late for this current wave.

I've been wrong before on Quebec's ability to ramp up vaccination tho.

Current wave is going to last a few months, if the past is any guide.

Alberta stealth changed eligibility to 50+.  And while you're younger than I, I don't think you're that much younger - out turn will come shortly.

Quebec just stealth changed to 60+.  :sleep:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 12:52:21 PM

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/15/1064202754/omicron-evades-moderna-vaccine-too-study-suggests-but-boosters-help

mNRA is certainly the gold standard for what came before, but this new variant is causing all kinds of trouble.

I do not understand that link.

If they tell me people need boosters to ensure they have antibodies actively in their blood (as opposed to the "dormant" protection that needs mobilising after an infection starts) and thus have a far higher chance of avoiding serious complications, I get that.

But what is this nonsense about the "2-vaccine antibodies" being 50 times less effective, but the "booster antibodies" being as effective as against 2-vaccine ones against Delta? Was this an attempt by that article to translate what I wrote? Because it was stupid if that's what they were trying to do.

crazy canuck

I am pretty sure the researchers are not on Languish.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 01:54:18 PM

Somebody here might understand what I couldn't, though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2021, 01:57:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 01:54:18 PM

Somebody here might understand what I couldn't, though.

I don't know what you were trying to say - I am not sure what post you are referring to.  But the article is simply saying the mNRA vaccines are not as effective against the new variant but a booster helps.  So there does not seem to be that much difference across vaccines with this new variant.  Everyone needs boosters no matter what.

Personally I will be happy to get an mNRA vaccine this time around - it was not available for my age group at the time I got my first two shots.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2021, 11:51:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2021, 11:28:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2021, 11:25:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2021, 11:17:35 AM
I love Rogan but he has a California hippy sensibility so he is always going to be doing some kind of weird fad thing for his health.

What do you love about the guy?

He is authentic. He is just who he is. I think that is cool, though now he exists in this weird world of being used by everybody because he is popular.

That is my problem.

He has this HUGE following, and so he has (IMO) a responsibility to stop playing the "Ahh shucks, I'm just a guy chatting with some dudes!" schtick when it comes to giving a platform to people who don't deserve one.

Plus his following is just a bit too man-cave cultish for my taste.

He isn't much of an actual authority on much of anything outside the MMA. He isn't particular bright, IMO, and doesn't think very critically. And he plays that game where he admits to exactly that, and yet leans into giving his opinion about bullshit anyway. And again, with the certain knowledge that his charisma has in fact created this massive following who WILL act as if he is an authority even while he tells them he is not.

As I said I get it. Everything you just said is absolutely true.

I have just been a big fan of his and his comedy and all that for a long time and early on when his show often had Newsradio actors on it I really enjoyed listening to them talk about their experiences.

But outside of sports, comedy, and acting he really doesn't have much expert insight to offer. And boy does he love talking about drug use and woowoo health shit :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."