News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Stellar Languish

Started by Tamas, February 20, 2021, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

North America built a single rover depleting their budget (thanks to reusable rockets still having a LV2 lying about).

I have uploaded the file with the start of the move phase, South America is next to move their new purchases.

grumbler

Tamas, when I ran the NA build/move file, it hung up right after the line "* NA CV-2 Discovery moves offboard -> Mars Surface *"

I couldn't get past that to get to the end of your log file.  Advice?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Tamas, when I ran the NA build/move file, it hung up right after the line "* NA CV-2 Discovery moves offboard -> Mars Surface *"

I couldn't get past that to get to the end of your log file.  Advice?

It might be that you just had to click a bit more (I was flipping stuff on my player card) but regardless, I have uploaded a "standalone save" version of the end state of my move - you should just open it (there should be no replay to go through) and then start your logfile from the File menu.

grumbler

I think that I found the problem - I'd not updated the Vassal version.  That made your move 40 work, Tamas, so I went with log file 41 for my move.  Your standalone save 41 is OBE.

ASA sent a probe towards Mars and an orbiter towards Saturn.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Grumbler, only got around checking your move: Probes cant move on their own, they must be attached to another RE and they are expended after first use when that RE explores.

Also, your Earth-Mars move with a LV1 rocket is just 7, not 14.  (Earth is 0, Saturn is +7, and the optional rule we use does not apply)

For now, I will correct your Saturn Orbiter move distance, and I will attach the Probe to this Orbiter, and give you an LV1 back. If you want keep your Probe on Earth instead and attach to something else later we can change it.

Tamas

Actually, you might want to move that Orbiter to Mars with the Probe instead? Since you wanted to explore on/around Mars and you can't do that with the Probe only it'd make sense. Message me on Discord on how to fix it.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 02:37:28 PM
Actually, you might want to move that Orbiter to Mars with the Probe instead? Since you wanted to explore on/around Mars and you can't do that with the Probe only it'd make sense. Message me on Discord on how to fix it.

Hmm.  I sent the orbiter to Saturn because it has moons that will give me engineering points, which I badly need to stay competitive.  Was this a foolish strategy?

The probe I sent to Mars because I can only have two REs and wanted to use it up quickly.  Foolish again?

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 02:37:28 PM

Hmm.  I sent the orbiter to Saturn because it has moons that will give me engineering points, which I badly need to stay competitive.  Was this a foolish strategy?

The probe I sent to Mars because I can only have two REs and wanted to use it up quickly.  Foolish again?

Saturn (and Jupiter) are never a bad idea with an Orbiter IMHO because you have your choice of satellites to explore as well (which an Orbiter can do when orbiting the main world, albeit with a -1 penalty) and so as long as the orbiter is working you have your choice of research category to explore each turn.

However, Saturn is far away, and if you want to focus on Engineering there are better candidates: the Main Asteroid Belt gives you the same chance for Engineering but its half the distance.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 03:00:39 PM

Saturn (and Jupiter) are never a bad idea with an Orbiter IMHO because you have your choice of satellites to explore as well (which an Orbiter can do when orbiting the main world, albeit with a -1 penalty) and so as long as the orbiter is working you have your choice of research category to explore each turn.

However, Saturn is far away, and if you want to focus on Engineering there are better candidates: the Main Asteroid Belt gives you the same chance for Engineering but its half the distance.

I thought that orbiters could only orbit planets.  If they can orbit in the asteroid belt, then my orbiter will go there.

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2021, 07:12:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 03:00:39 PM

I thought that orbiters could only orbit planets.  If they can orbit in the asteroid belt, then my orbiter will go there.

The Belt is a world like the other planets so as I understand an Orbiter can go there just fine. I'll be doing the correction (Orbiter + Probe to the Belt, giving you back an LV1)

Tamas

Done, Japan has a bunch of stuff to move now.

celedhring

The fine Japanese craftmanship is again on display as the orbiter Nomura explodes while trying to place itself on orbit over Deimos  :glare:

Fortunately, the Nakamura manages to orbit Venus, and the Rover Ito leaves Jupiter in a heliocentric transfer towards Saturn, where the JAXA  has spotted juicier targets to land.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2021, 04:44:11 PM
The fine Japanese craftmanship is again on display as the orbiter Nomura explodes while trying to place itself on orbit over Deimos  :glare:

Fortunately, the Nakamura manages to orbit Venus, and the Rover Ito leaves Jupiter in a heliocentric transfer towards Saturn, where the JAXA  has spotted juicier targets to land.

Nomura should still be alive. You roll for engine failure for movement (base failure of 5%), not malfunction. Based on your roll of 15, it's fine.

Berkut, when you do your China move, can you put the E2 that Celedhring drew back into the pool?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Fixed.

Europe is up to move.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas