News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PBEM] Stellar Languish

Started by Tamas, February 20, 2021, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I mentioned this in the boardgame thread and now finally got around trying to kick it off, well-timed with the Mars rover landing!

Stellar Horizons is a pretty epic space (well, solar system) 4x boardgame. Not so much in terms of complexity, because once you get the hang of it, turns are pretty quick to resolve, but more in scope and breadth.

With the length of the full campaign (where you are likely to go from the first prospecting and mining of asteroids and planets to at least early terraforming) I think it gives itself very well to PBEM.

You can find the rules here: https://www.compassgames.com/stellar-horizon.html There's also a Vassal module, I will PM the Onedrive link containing all of these to those who sign up. There are also a couple of good reviews on Boardgamegeek.

To give you some idea of what it entails:

the game features semi-random exploration: usually when you do some exploring of a planet/asteroid you get some research points, but when you get a breakthrough you get to draw a "world card" which gives the world in question resource values you can exploit as well as possibly other bonuses. These depend on the type of the world, so if you draw a Helium-3 card you can only apply it if you were exploring a gas giant otherwise it goes back to the draw bag.

These world cards will give the players to utilise the resources offered by it. which will be the one of the big drivers of where to build bases. The other will be to build and expand colonies, as these give a lot of VPs depending on the plant in question -  A single level of colony on one of the moons of Saturn will worth far more than one on Luna, but needless to say getting resources there will be a far bigger challenge.

In fact I think these are the two (three) obvious strategic choices to make during the game: either you can try to build up an industrial and logistic foundation to allow you outer solar system colonisation, or be content with colonising the near-Earth bodies like Luna and Mars, trying to beat others by sheer population level. Or try something in-between.

There is also combat, but to be fair I have found few incentives for it. I think that's where the Piracy system of the game comes in nicely. Once pirates appear (can happen fairly early), players will want at least some combat-capable vehicles to not fall too behind the others while being delayed by piracy. From there things might escalate to at least an arms race as you can really be messed with if you can't defend yourself.

There can be up to 7 players. I think for real "interactivity" it needs 4 at least, although 3 is workable. There's just way too much room for 2 players to fill.
Here are the faction tips from the rulebook:

QuoteNORTH AMERICA
You start with the best technology and excellent ships. Get out
there, explore, and colonize, and try to maintain your lead if you
can.
RUSSIA
Your strengths are resource transport and robust crews. You might
want to build a space station in orbit right away with Kliper, drop
a Research Station for the free tech, a Supply Station to refuel
your ships (why build launch vehicles?), and maybe even a few
Settlements for their trade and production benefits. You also have
a great cargo ship from the start (Renda), which you should build
on its reserved side for the 1 SUP and 1 FUEL savings (since
Renda has no exploration value, she can't build bases anyway,
but could trade with other faction's bases if you unreserved her).
Launching Renda on LV-2s (especially once you get Reusable
launch vehicles) will let you stock up your bases on the cheap.
EUROPE
You have the best research and space telescopes. Your REs are topnotch,
but CVs are also among the best, so you'll probably want to
adopt a balanced approach.
JAPAN
You have the best ships, but they're also the most expensive. You'll
want to choose quality over quantity, and aim to reduce your
already low malfunction rate. Flood the solar system with robots
to try to establish a technological lead over your rivals. But don't
forget bases and crew vehicles. One good Japanese ship is worth 3
from another faction... right?
CHINA
You can support more ships than most, and don't have to worry
as much about falling behind because you can always reverse
engineer technologies you don't have. You have the best military
position, so don't let anyone push you around. Even the threat of
force can make your opponents look over their shoulder.
ASIA
Your strengths are production and trade, so build bases early and
often. You can support the most ships and bases, and yours are
cheap. Swarm the solar system with as many ships as you can:
quantity has a quality all its own.
SOUTH AMERICA/AFRICA
Your strengths are diplomacy and trade, so make lots of friends
and profit from them. Your ships are average but you can build lots
of them. Build bases and use your equatorial launch sites to stock
them up quickly.

I recommend we try our hands straight with the main campaign. After the first decade (so after 10 turns) we can decide to restart or go on, and at the end of every decade we can agree to make a call on stopping in case some players fell too much behind due to inexperience (although the game's mechanics don't really let you fall TOO behind, I think).

Anyone feeling like committing to this? :)

celedhring

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I think Berkut also was interested but probably right now busy with covid, so let's give him a bit of time to see if he wants to join in.

Habbaku

I think you can go ahead and assume he's in, as this is definitely his kind of game. I will text him annoying messages when he holds the game up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

I haven't done one of these in a while and the last one I did was fun, so I'm in.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

I have not done this before, but willing to learn and if there is room, I am in.

Tamas

Alright, assuming Berkut's in then that's all 7 places taken. I have sent ya' all the Onedrive link with rules and Vassal module.

I'll randomise starting factions, then, we can perhaps schedule to start sometime next week?

Habbaku

Let's come up with a hard start time next week. Otherwise, sounds great.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Ok I have put our names into random.org's randomiser to get them in random order, to be matched with the order of factions as such:

North America, Russia, Europe, Japan, China, Asia, South America/Africa.

The results are:

North America       Tamas
Russia                   Habbaku
Europe                  crazy canuck
Japan                    celedhring
China                    Berkut
Asia                      Darth Wagtaros
S. America/Africa   grumbler

Since it'll be the first time and we'll have little to no idea what we'll be doing, feel free to trade factions between each other if you are particularly unhappy with your result.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on February 23, 2021, 02:52:45 AM
Can I build mechas in this?  :P

No. :P But you have awesome crewed vehicles.

I am not sure how I feel about North America. I think Turn 1 is usually all about them (unless they get unlucky) but in effect they are pulling up the others with their exploration and research and whatnot, and their special skill (slight bonus if you are the first to research a tech) not only has little value, but also is worthless if you ever fall behind. I'd say they are the faction with the most pressure to be always up front.

Which reminds me guys: the biggest tip one can give to a new player: research reusable rockets ASAP. It does wonders to your budget. :P