From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2009, 01:58:04 PM
But, I watched a number of videos of Gates in Africa for one of my classes and I'm not the least bit surprised by all this.

Why?  What did he do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2009, 01:58:04 PM

But, I watched a number of videos of Gates in Africa for one of my classes and I'm not the least bit surprised by all this.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Richard Roundtree?  :unsure:

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2009, 01:59:55 PM
My guess is that it went down more or less exactly as the cop said it went down, and Gates is lying; moreover, that the various sources of evidence (911 tapes, other witnesses, etc.) will all tend to prove this.

However, (and this is the big "however"), I still doubt that, strictly speaking, being a lying, yelling, race-card-playing, upper middle class asshole who attempts to intimidate the cops with his 'you don't know what a big man I am' routine -- justifies his arrest.

That being said, he could still lose big in the arena of public opinion if he's seen to be acting the jerk (and demanding apologies for it), and it won't do his friend Obama any good either.
Yes, correct.  I'm still not sure why he was arrested... being an asshole isn't a crime.  I can understand the idea behind arresting someone in this situation for disorderly conduct, though.  People can't be seen to be disobeying and disrespecting civil authorities publicly like that.  It will further erode what little respect the public already has for law enforcement, which is a real danger in a relatively free society like ours.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

No it was Gates. My instructor was a big fan. The videos were of a tour he made of Africa to discover the Real History(TM). It was a fine piece of pan-African revisionism.

Berkut

There has to be SOME reason for assholes to cooperate with the police when said police are legitimately doing their job.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

swallow

It's very odd - here, it's the absolute norm to ask for an ID if you're not sure who someone is (even if in uniform) and then it's expected that they wait quietly outside while you close the front door and 'phone to check.  It's only the naive who let someone they can't identify 100% into their home.

Berkut

Quote from: swallow on July 24, 2009, 02:11:43 PM
It's very odd - here, it's the absolute norm to ask for an ID if you're not sure who someone is (even if in uniform) and then it's expected that they wait quietly outside while you close the front door and 'phone to check.  It's only the naive who let someone they can't identify 100% into their home.

Are you saying that Gates was not sure if Crowley was really a police officer?

This is new - is Gates making this claim, or are you making it for him? Did Crowley not identify himself as a police officer?

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2009, 02:07:57 PM
No it was Gates. My instructor was a big fan. The videos were of a tour he made of Africa to discover the Real History(TM). It was a fine piece of pan-African revisionism.

Levar Burton (aka Geordi Laforge) did something similar on PBS back in the 90s, where he went to see Timbuktu, which turned out to be a major shithole but he nonetheless rationalized it into something great.  IIRC, that was the episode (can't remember the series name) where he admired some structure as a "feat of African engineering".  Heh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

swallow

@ Berkut
He wasn't driving a marked police car.  I think we've had people in uniform pretending to be officials.  I'm saying the whole thing is odd that the policeman went into Gate's house before showing ID. 

Berkut

Quote from: swallow on July 24, 2009, 02:22:48 PM
@ Berkut
He wasn't driving a marked police car.  I think we've had people in uniform pretending to be officials.  I'm saying the whole thing is odd that the policeman went into Gate's house before showing ID. 

The lengths people will go to excuse this guys behavior.

I've never heard anything about him claiming he was unsure that Crowley was a police officer, or was concerend for his own safety. I don't recall him going ballistic because he thought Crowley was not a cop - rather that he went ballistic because he knew Crowley was a cop, and apparently he hates cops, because they are all out to get the black man.

Whether people pretend to be cops isn't the issue - there is no indication that Gates actions had anything to do with him skeptical of Crowleys identity.

0 rows returned

swallow

He did keep asking for the policeman's ID.  The motives, we can always put into his mouth.  But it is odd that the policeman went into the house.

Berkut

Quote from: swallow on July 24, 2009, 02:27:09 PM
He did keep asking for the policeman's ID

No, he never asked for the cops ID, he asked for his name and badge number so he could report him as a racist out to get black men in America.

At no point has Gates ever said or indicated he had any doubts about Crowleys identity as a police officer.

Christ, you are just making shit up at this point in some desperate attempt to excuse the guy.

0 rows returned

Malthus

The backpedaling continues:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2447761120090724?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

My translation: Obama's staff have now reviewed the tapes & witness statements, realize that the good Prof. was totally lying about how the incident went down, and need to distance him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2009, 02:20:54 PM
Levar Burton (aka Geordi Laforge) did something similar on PBS back in the 90s, where he went to see Timbuktu, which turned out to be a major shithole but he nonetheless rationalized it into something great.  IIRC, that was the episode (can't remember the series name) where he admired some structure as a "feat of African engineering".  Heh.

I assume you're talking about Reading Rainbow? :huh:
Experience bij!

Berkut

He is an eminent professor of blackosity at Harvard. It is simply not conceivable that he could lie about his racial oppression.

This isn't about him, it is about all the lesser blacks, you know.

0 rows returned