And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 03:29:35 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 03:21:20 PM

I feel like there's Downfall-style meme opportunity in Brian Blessed's Augustus - where are my eagles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ohKuKy4_s
Or - is there anyone in Rome who has not slept with my daughter:
https://twitter.com/archivetvmus71/status/1181977161151983616?lang=en

I really have to watch I Claudius again, it's been nearly 2 decades...

Valmy

Patrick Stewart having hair and acting evil is always fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2020, 03:49:45 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 03:29:35 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 03:21:20 PM

I feel like there's Downfall-style meme opportunity in Brian Blessed's Augustus - where are my eagles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ohKuKy4_s
Or - is there anyone in Rome who has not slept with my daughter:
https://twitter.com/archivetvmus71/status/1181977161151983616?lang=en

I really have to watch I Claudius again, it's been nearly 2 decades...

It is hilarious watching it recently and seeing "Captain Picard" as the villainous Sejanus! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Beat you Malthus!

Also the kindly old wand guy from Harry Potter as Caligula.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Fill a show with enough Brit actors and there's a decent chance a number of them will eventually appear in some dumb American stuff that makes them famous.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2020, 03:56:40 PM
Fill a show with enough Brit actors and there's a decent chance a number of them will eventually appear in some dumb American stuff that makes them famous.  :P
:lol: It's inevitable - also true for Australian soaps.

Personal favourite in I Claudius is John Hurt's turn.

And the main thing that surprises me about Patrick Stewart is how handsome he is a young man. It makes a lot of sense because he was handsome/dignified when he was older. But it's still weird. (I know one girl with a thing for bald men who has an enormous crush on Patrick Stewart :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Lovely stat from a UK election nerd:
QuoteOne county in the US has picked the winner in every presidential election since 1916, save for once (1988): Blaine County, Montana.

Blaine voted for Donald Trump in 2016.

With nearly all the votes in, Joe Biden is carrying Blaine County.

Biden: 1589 (51%)
Trump: 1469 (47.1%)
(And in 1912, it went Bull Moose :))
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2020, 03:15:13 PM
Any particular reason you suddenly feel the need to defend these fucking gang of spineless sleezeballs who were quite alright to close rank and follow this utter piece of shit Trump?

Because one of the very first issues I ever cared about in politics in my life was the national debt.  Which is a problem that in both Canada and the US we manned up and solved - but now it's come back worse than ever.

Me to. I feel very strongly about this.

And you praising Lindsey Graham after he blew up the debt in 2017 is giving me a stroke so stop it :P

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 03:59:29 PM
:lol: It's inevitable - also true for Australian soaps.

Personal favourite in I Claudius is John Hurt's turn.

And the main thing that surprises me about Patrick Stewart is how handsome he is a young man. It makes a lot of sense because he was handsome/dignified when he was older. But it's still weird. (I know one girl with a thing for bald men who has an enormous crush on Patrick Stewart :lol:)

As Oberon :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
Cheesesteaks are one of the worst things I've ever eaten. Shit meat with shit cheese with shit bread. It's not even good as a fast food.

:yes: :cheers:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Patrick Stewart in the 90s/early 00s could have turned me. :blush:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Also hilarious was hearing Derek Jacobi as the voice over for "In The Night Garden" when my kid was a toddler - sounded like Claudius let the lead poisioning get to his brain. 😄

crazy canuck

I have to say, Patrick Stewart was one good looking man.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...