News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Every time I play the latest version of HOI 4, the Spanish Civil War make me feel a little uncomfortable.  You have the organized but deplorable Nationalists starting with the element of surprise and gaining ground, you have hapless Republicans always being one or more steps behind, and just when they're about to regain their footing the Anarchists stage an uprising, feeling that Republicans are too unwilling and too incompetent to further their causes.

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2020, 03:15:13 PM
Any particular reason you suddenly feel the need to defend these fucking gang of spineless sleezeballs who were quite alright to close rank and follow this utter piece of shit Trump?

Because one of the very first issues I ever cared about in politics in my life was the national debt.  Which is a problem that in both Canada and the US we manned up and solved - but now it's come back worse than ever.

You should have taken finance rather than law. |It's a different reality. As well,you would have far richer.
humans were created in their own image

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 08:17:37 PM
Yeah I didn't hear too much about the court packing. I think everyone knew Biden would never do that.

I also didn't hear too much about it, but for a different reason.  I think a lot of people thought so what if he does?

This is just pure gut obviously.

Eddie Teach

Yeah I didn't hear too much about the court packing. I think everyone knew Biden would never do that.

Well, he certainly won't now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2020, 09:14:15 PM

Well, he certainly won't now.

Indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2020, 08:27:30 PM
Every time I play the latest version of HOI 4, the Spanish Civil War make me feel a little uncomfortable.  You have the organized but deplorable Nationalists starting with the element of surprise and gaining ground, you have hapless Republicans always being one or more steps behind, and just when they're about to regain their footing the Anarchists stage an uprising, feeling that Republicans are too unwilling and too incompetent to further their causes.

I think it is likely that we will see more unrest in the future.  We already have unrest now; some of those Qanon assholes were plotting to shoot up the place where they doing the vote count in Philadelphia.  If Trump and his henchmen actually succeed in getting Pennsylvania to throw out the vote and have the legislature crown Trump... Think American Maidan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I didn't know he wouldn't. He refused to answer the question. How did everyone else know he wouldn't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 06, 2020, 10:25:42 PM

I didn't know he wouldn't. He refused to answer the question. How did everyone else know he wouldn't.

Because he is Joe Biden. Bipartisan Joe who wants to be buds with everybody.

He said he would form a bipartisan committee to explore the issue. I am sure the Republicans would have been big fans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

His coyness certainly didn't hurt turnout on either side.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2020, 10:48:40 PM

Yeah the coyness was done out of some political calculation, I don't remember exactly.

But it wasn't going to happen.

I just heard Joe's speech and he is so conciliatory and wholesome about us all coming together to build the future it sounds so 20 years ago.  It was all nice to hear but...it sounds pretty out of touch with the kind of situation he will be walking into.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 10:59:05 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2020, 10:48:40 PM

Yeah the coyness was done out of some political calculation, I don't remember exactly.

But it wasn't going to happen.

I just heard Joe's speech and he is so conciliatory and wholesome about us all coming together to build the future it sounds so 20 years ago.  It was all nice to hear but...it sounds pretty out of touch with the kind of situation he will be walking into.

I don't think he's naive as to how difficult his job is going to be with an obstructionist Senate and the vitriolic political discourse from the right. He's been campaigning for President for months and saw the obstructionism first hand as Vice President. But he's being elected president now and saying how shitty the other side is acting and how unfair his detractors are isn't particularly presidential.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Yeah Valmy has been listening to Trump too much these past four years.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Meadows tested positive.  Has been to how many events in the last week?

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on November 06, 2020, 11:12:00 PM
Yeah Valmy has been listening to Trump too much these past four years.

Very true.

I wasn't saying that Joe shouldn't say things like that I was just saying how it felt under the circumstances.