And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 09:27:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 09:25:48 AM

The narrative is the whole election was stolen.  Trumpism is alive and well and you will hear this refrain until a Trumpist regains power.
And it has been stolen in such a complex fashion that certain states need to stop or cancel votes, while other states need to count more votes.

I liked Colbert's line about that.  If Biden can orchestrate something so complex and execute a plan with such a low margin for error - he is definitely the person to lead us.

Oexmelin

—Let's steal the Presidential election! We have the capacity! Should be easy!
— What about the Senate?
— Naaah.
Que le grand cric me croque !

katmai

Quote from: Threviel on November 06, 2020, 08:35:24 AM
What's happening in Alaska? They're not moving at all on the count.
we have 120,000 mail in ballots which by state law Iirc can't be counted till week after Election Day.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

The narrative is the whole election was stolen.  Trumpism is alive and well and you will hear this refrain until a Trumpist regains power.

If people think the "not my president" sentiment during the Obama and Trump years was bad, it has a potential to be a lot worse after this election.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 09:45:07 AM

If people think the "not my president" sentiment during the Obama and Trump years was bad, it has a potential to be a lot worse after this election.

Agreed

Sheilbh

So much love for Nevada that after only counting 20k votes yesterday, have now seen the pressures off and announced they won't have results until 12 November. Bravo :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Biden has fairly clearly won the election now and will be the next President.

To me the larger questions kind of looming is we already have McConnell saying the Senate will do everything it can, including not even approving cabinet nominees, to limit Biden's Presidency. If this is the new normal I really kind of wonder how the Democrats ever effectively govern. It's always going to be hard for them to win congressional elections when they hold the White House, because their voters blame them for Republican disruption in Congress meaning they lose even more seats, and the cycle just repeats.

Syt

Eh, if the system can survive Trump, it can survive another 8, 16, 32 years of gridlock. :P

Even if the Democrats had the majorities in both houses, I doubt they'd change the rules to prevent Republican obstruction from happening. So I guess you'll have to get used to governing by executive order and without much legislation when one party doesn't hold the presidency and both houses.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2020, 09:28:30 AM
And I'll add, doesn't matter how this drama is portrayed in the mainstream media, how is it playing on social media, will his 'troops' rally to the MAGA flag, will they start small insurrections even without his prompting?

A problem for Trump is that he is leading a movement of the uneducated, and all the generals went to college.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/05/us-election-joe-biden-donald-trump-result-latest-who-is-winning-live-2020-updates?page=with:block-5fa561de8f08f974eae12c85#block-5fa561de8f08f974eae12c85

QuoteCNN's Abby Phillip said Joe Biden's potential victory represents "a proving moment" for the political strength of African American women.

"Carrying Joe Biden to the Democratic nomination through the primary: Black women did that," Phillip said.

The CNN correspondent noted the historic nature of Biden choosing a Black woman, Kamala Harris, as his running mate.

"Not only would Black women put Joe Biden in the White House, but they would also put a Black woman in the White House as well, and that is the sort of historical poetry that I think we will live with for a long time," Phillip said.

She added, "Donald Trump's political career began with the racist birther lie; it may very well end with a Black woman in the White House."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Yeah, given Georgia I'm comfortable attributing this win to black women. I can imagine the data there is going to be heavily anti Trump.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 09:09:11 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2020, 09:00:01 AM
He looked and sounded thoroughly spent and exhausted at his press conference last night. I think he went right to bed shortly after. He'll be up mashing buttons soon.
It is reaching the point that someone in the Trump team needs to have a chat with him, a bottle of scotch and a concession letter.
Trump doesn't drink.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Back to Gritty.

I like how they went with the John Brown look.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 10:02:05 AM
Yeah, given Georgia I'm comfortable attributing this win to black women. I can imagine the data there is going to be heavily anti Trump.

Stacy Abrams is the architect for Biden's victory in Georgia.  She's accomplished something that hasn't been done in 28 years, delivered an election to Democratic Presidential nominee.  Make her party chair.  The rest of the Dems could learn a lot from her.  Unless she want's a cabinet post, then give her whatever post she wants.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017