News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

That's a nice looking house  :)
I've always liked houses in older, established neighborhoods. I grew up in a house built in the 80s and my current house was built in 1981. Those neighborhoods, at least around here, just have so much more green space than newer neighborhoods. I love the streams and old towering oaks we have compared to the new places that are clear cut and packed tightly with houses.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Well, I want to move to Peoria now.

Very nice house. Don't spend more than needed Mery!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

You guys forget that while I'm moving, I'm keeping my job ... at my current salary. Which is likely to go up substantially around the time that I'm moving. This house is mid-range for my budget, and has the room that I need for the life that I lead. It's actually a little smaller and less expensive that the other one I was looking at. That one was in a small town about 25 miles south of Peoria, though, so kind of out of the running. Plus, it was only .5 acres compared to this one's .75 acres.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

I am really jealous, it looks lovely.

grumbler

When I was growing up, I had cousins living in Peoria so went there multiple times.  It seemed like a nice enough place.  It was a Caterpillar Tractor company town, though, and there was always some kind of strike or dispute going on (the company really was the pits, according to my uncle, who worked in management).  They've mostly moved out of there now, though, and I think that the town is trying to rebrand itself as light industry and professional services oriented.  One cousin still lives there and works in medical research.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2020, 11:00:12 PM
When I was growing up, I had cousins living in Peoria so went there multiple times.  It seemed like a nice enough place.  It was a Caterpillar Tractor company town, though, and there was always some kind of strike or dispute going on (the company really was the pits, according to my uncle, who worked in management).  They've mostly moved out of there now, though, and I think that the town is trying to rebrand itself as light industry and professional services oriented.  One cousin still lives there and works in medical research.

Caterpillar is still huge there. I think it's one of the largest employers in Peoria; my best friend works there. But they've moved out of downtown, for the most part, and the hospitals are now the prominent industry downtown.

merithyn

My friends went through the house today with me on video. It's gorgeous. :wub: It has pretty much everything that I want. It's as clean and well-kept as the pictures make it seem, and the yard is lovely.

I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of weeks and then make a decision. If it's gone by then, I'll keep looking. If it's still around, I'll make a bid and see what happens.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2020, 04:11:18 PM
My friends went through the house today with me on video. It's gorgeous. :wub: It has pretty much everything that I want. It's as clean and well-kept as the pictures make it seem, and the yard is lovely.

I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of weeks and then make a decision. If it's gone by then, I'll keep looking. If it's still around, I'll make a bid and see what happens.

Do houses really stay on the market that long there? Homes here that are in good condition and good neighborhoods are gone in about a week.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

This one has already been on the market for 270+ days. It's a big house on the higher end of most people's budgets in Peoria. Plus, it's on a busier road, which turns some people off.

Valmy

What sort of things do you need to sleep on? Have you not yet decided fully to move back to Illinois?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2020, 11:17:42 PM
What sort of things do you need to sleep on? Have you not yet decided fully to move back to Illinois?

I need to be absolutely sure that I'm ready to go $200k in debt. I need to be 100% certain that the timing will be right. I need to be 100% certain that *this* is the house that I want to be $200k in debt for.

I just want to take my time about this. It's a massive commitment, and if I've learned anything in the last four years, it's that commitment is fucking scary.

Valmy

Is there a chance you could go look at it in person at some point then? And have it inspected? A lot can be wrong about an old house no matter how pretty it looks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2020, 11:41:36 AM
Is there a chance you could go look at it in person at some point then? And have it inspected? A lot can be wrong about an old house no matter how pretty it looks.

I'm not buying any house without an inspection. So any bid will include that clause.

No, I doubt I'll be able to see it in person prior to buying it. But my two best friends just did a walk-through with me on video, and they loved it. I trust their judgement.

Grey Fox

How will you know you are ready for a 200k debt?

Altho, it's not regular debt. You get an asset in exchange.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2020, 06:01:04 PM
How will you know you are ready for a 200k debt?

Altho, it's not regular debt. You get an asset in exchange.

Well, when the thought doesn't scare the shit out of me would be the first sign, I'd think.  :D