merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Pretty sure Sheilbh is shocked at how much house and land you get for so little money.

Gorgeous house Meri - but for a 90 year old home get a very thorough home inspection.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
Pretty sure Sheilbh is shocked at how much house and land you get for so little money.

Gorgeous house Meri - but for a 90 year old home get a very thorough home inspection.

That house where I love would easily be twice that. Go to live the rust belt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

For that price I can at best get a 50-60 square meter apartment in Vienna (540 - 650 square feet).

I couldn't find any houses for that price, at least no completed ones that included the lot (you can own a house, but the land might be leased).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Of course. :huh:

I grew up in a house on the prairies that is now 170 years old. I'm well-aware of what can and does happen with older houses. :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2020, 12:11:10 PM
For that price I can at best get a 50-60 square meter apartment in Vienna (540 - 650 square feet).

I couldn't find any houses for that price, at least no completed ones that included the lot (you can own a house, but the land might be leased).

Peoria is not exactly the Vienna of North America though.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2020, 12:10:44 PM

That house where I love would easily be twice that. Go to live the rust belt.

This is two hours from Chicago. :sleep: It's not the rust belt; it's farm country.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I was kind of aware at the back of my head - but yes. Wow :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

If I were to buy a one bedroom condo, the bedroom itself would cost more than that house.  :(

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2020, 12:11:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2020, 12:11:10 PM

Peoria is not exactly the Vienna of North America though.

:lmfao:

No, no it definitely is not. :D

But it's in close proximity to my brother, my two sisters, my daughter, and Chicago. (Close by Midwestern standards = less than a 5-hour drive)

And my best friends live less than a 15-minute drive away. ^_^

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 02, 2020, 09:31:35 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 02, 2020, 09:23:23 AM
It always helps to be in one's twenties  :D
:lol:

I think you're both right and there's maybe a balance. Like you don't want to be totally non-decaying (Singapore/Dubai), but you also don't want to be an utter sinkhole of a city (Wells <_<). You need enough decay that things can happen - artists/club promoters/new chefs etc can find a venue - but not too much. The cooler bits have been moving out of the central London into the the sort of outer-centre/inner suburbs. Those bits may now get filled with the young well-paid urbanites currently in the centre who suddenly want a bit more outdoor space, or easy way of getting out of town etc and the cool bits may come back into the centre? :hmm:

London is done.
Even Berlin's time is passing.
Warsaw. That's where the cool kids are heading.

;)

But seriously where is the cool part of London now?
I still remember back when it was Camden. I know Brixton has been and gone. Peckham?
██████
██████
██████