And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2020, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
Pretty sure Sheilbh is shocked at how much house and land you get for so little money.

Gorgeous house Meri - but for a 90 year old home get a very thorough home inspection.

That house where I love would easily be twice that. Go to live the rust belt.
:hmm: Sounds like you should love less and sleep more.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 02, 2020, 12:15:16 PM
London is done.
Even Berlin's time is passing.
Warsaw. That's where the cool kids are heading.

;)
Warsaw's done - I hear it's Tbilisi and Kyiv now :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

If I get the house, I'll close in the port cochre (or whatever that's called) and make a library there. I might also add a second-floor to the garage as my office. Or possibly a game room.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Yeah I reversed love and live in that post :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

What a lovely spacious house  :cool:

.........and the price is fantastic.

So......how bad is Peoria?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 02, 2020, 12:19:27 PM
What a lovely spacious house  :cool:

.........and the price is fantastic.

So......how bad is Peoria?

It depends on what you're looking for. It's a small city in a rural area of Illinois. It's close enough to Chicago that it doesn't really breed its own culture, but it has still tried in recent years to "rejuvenate" the city. There are million dollar houses, and $1000 houses. There are very very poor and very very rich, and the whole gamut in between.

I prefer these kinds of cities over the larger metropolises. It tends to be a bit more conservative than somewhere like Chicago, but nowhere near as conservative as the smaller communities around it. There's a big, beautiful river that flows down the center of the city, and they've started building around it to bring people downtown.

It is, in a lot of ways, very similar to the city that I grew up in, but closer to a large metropolis.

Josquius

*Googles Peoria*
*Checks Peoria to Chicago*
160 miles. 3 hours by car.
Close....to....Chicago....
*Laughs in European*

:p
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Maladict

Looking at what I could afford in Peoria. It's more tempting than I was expecting. :blush:

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on October 02, 2020, 12:42:21 PM
*Googles Peoria*
*Checks Peoria to Chicago*
160 miles. 3 hours by car.
Close....to....Chicago....
*Laughs in European*

:p

I've driven it many times. It's not three hours unless that's in traffic. It's much closer to two hours, maybe two and a half.

But yes, to you guys, that's a distance. :D

merithyn

And it really is a cute city. I've gone up there for concerts several times, as well as to go to their Indian and Polish grocery stores. I love the river walk, and can't wait to take a boat out on the river.

Given that my job is fully work-from-home now, there's no reason not to move back there.

Barrister

As I poke around the listings Meri, I can find a lot of cute smaller houses for about $100k.  Not as gorgeous as the one you listed, but around the 3 bedroom, 2 bath size, at $100k.

Knowing your plans, I'd be tempted to get a smaller house and use the rest of the money towards that place in Barcelona.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
As I poke around the listings Meri, I can find a lot of cute smaller houses for about $100k.  Not as gorgeous as the one you listed, but around the 3 bedroom, 2 bath size, at $100k.

Knowing your plans, I'd be tempted to get a smaller house and use the rest of the money towards that place in Barcelona.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate that you have my best interest at heart. :)

I know what my budget - and needs are - and what will allow for the second place in Barcelona. This house is well within that budget, and fits my needs to a T. Otherwise, I would have looked at the smaller houses for less money.